Pettyjohn's Cave Clean-up on March 19, 2011

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Pettyjohn's Cave Clean-up on March 19, 2011

Postby zero22884 » Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

A friend of mine, Isaiah, is working on his Eagle Scout rank for scouting and has decided to do a cave clean-up at Pettyjohn's Cave. He needs help from others, so I would like to invite all of you to attend. The clean-up will be Saturday, March 19 beginning at 8:30 AM in the parking lot at Pettyjohn's Cave. The focus of this clean-up will be trash removal from inside the cave and also surrounding the cave and parking area.

If you have any further questions, please let me know or e-mail Isaiah directly: isaiahlake13 at gmail.com.
zero22884
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 58337
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clocktower Grotto

Re: Pettyjohn's Cave Clean-up on March 19, 2011

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Will he be taking off graffiti too or just trash pickup?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby zero22884 » Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm

The focus of this clean-up will just be trash pick-up. Isaiah doesn't have the knowledge or experience to add graffiti removal to this clean-up. Since this is the same date as the SERA WBM, most of the cavers who could help teach this will be at the business meeting. This clean-up is being organized completely by a 15 year old caver. So far, he is quite on top of everything. He has his act together quite well.
zero22884
Occasional Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Oh I didn't mean to imply anything bad :) I was simply curious was all!
I love caving down there and Pettijohn is a neat cave so I'm glad someone is cleaning it up! I'm tempted to come help. Too much going on in March already though, if it was another time! I originally was reading it as "May 19th" for some reason so I put it on my calendar as such to see about doing. Oops. Anyway, Good luck!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mudduck » Feb 24, 2011 10:42 am

Is there an age limit your friend would like to maintain? I'm a retiring scoutmaster this year and may be able to bring a small group of scouts over.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby graveleye » Feb 24, 2011 10:56 am

I think the wife and I might be able to make it up there.

Believe it or not, we're the only cavers in Georgia who have never been in Pettijohns. I've been to the entrance but never inside.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am

You have to do the zcrawl and corkscrew! Best parts! (That I've seen in it) (I've not seen anywhere near the whole thing)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby zero22884 » Feb 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Mudduck wrote:Is there an age limit your friend would like to maintain? I'm a retiring scoutmaster this year and may be able to bring a small group of scouts over.

I think he would be happy with any and all help. If you have any specific questions though, send him an e-mail and ask him. His e-mail address is in the original post.

Kevin, it would be great to have you support this clean-up. If you have never been to Pettyjohn's Cave, then this is the perfect reason to come visit the cave.
zero22884
Occasional Poster

Postby graveleye » Feb 25, 2011 9:34 am

Brad, are you going to be there? Are you up to caving yet?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby calebsewell » Feb 27, 2011 11:34 am

Hello everyone,
I just found this forum as I was trying to get some information on PettyJohns Cave.
I have been interested since I was in middle school to get into caving. Forgive me for being the noob here
but I have been wanting to head out to PettyJohns in the near future and get my first taste of caving I guess you could say.
I would be more than willing to help out in the effort. Would this be a good day to get my feet wet? I would like for this to become
a regular hobby. I just don't really know where to start I guess.
calebsewell
Infrequent Poster

Name: Caleb Sewell
NSS #: 62994
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am

Well you are in the right place :) Lots of grottos down there by where you live, if you are close to Pettijohn!
Definitely join one and go on trips with them, they'll help you get the proper gear and skills needed to cave safely :grin: Here are grottos in Georgia http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_overview.cfm?state=GA I have caved with the DCG they are a good group :) And there are tons more :) Lots of caves and cavers and grottos (cave clubs) down that way! And wanting to help on cave conservation already is awesome - you'll for sure meet the right people in such groups and more hands are always welcome!

:cavingrocks:
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby calebsewell » Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

TY! :) I actually am more in the area of the Dogwood Grotto, and I believe I might attend their next meeting if my work schedule permits.
I really am excited about all of this and ready to get all the information I can. :)
calebsewell
Infrequent Poster

Name: Caleb Sewell
NSS #: 62994
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby zero22884 » Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm

graveleye wrote:Brad, are you going to be there? Are you up to caving yet?

Kevin, I will be there at the start of the clean-up in support of Isaiah. He was the person with me when i fell in January. I am not released to go caving again yet, so I will stay on he surface. Once things get going, I will be heading over to the SERA WBM since it is being held in LaFayette.

calebsewell wrote:Hello everyone,
I just found this forum as I was trying to get some information on PettyJohns Cave.
I have been interested since I was in middle school to get into caving. Forgive me for being the noob here
but I have been wanting to head out to PettyJohns in the near future and get my first taste of caving I guess you could say.
I would be more than willing to help out in the effort. Would this be a good day to get my feet wet? I would like for this to become
a regular hobby. I just don't really know where to start I guess.

Caleb, there will be a number of other people at the cleanup with little or no caving experience. The whole day will be set up to help teach proper caving while conducting the clean-up. If you want to come, this would be a great day to get your feet wet. PM me or e-mail Isaiah for more information.
zero22884
Occasional Poster

Return to Conservation Forum