Conservation overstepping it's bounds?

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Conservation overstepping it's bounds?

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 17, 2011 2:34 pm

It's good to see so many climate scientists here on Cavechat. I'm really learning a lot. It's really enhancing my caving experience too. :roll:
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 17, 2011 3:10 pm

plicpriest1 wrote:

SO if H2O is the number one greenhouse gas, why in the world are we so concerned over CO2? ( actually I think I know the answer but Im curious if anybody will respond with an answer :big grin: )

The number one reason would be Money, secondly, control over the ability to make money, thirdly, the ability to demand what kind of work people would be allowed to perform to produce money. Forth and lastly, control over where the money produced can be spent. I hope I didn't miss anything.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby plicpriest1 » Mar 18, 2011 3:17 am

Personally I wouldnt consider myself a climate scientist. Though since I have a fascination with volcanoes and they were brought up earlier I figured I would toss in my 2 cents (with backing of course).

Now I must say, in any political arena one must ask themselves the question: where is the money coming from and where is it going? If you can answer that honestly (and might I suggest that is very hard to honestly do), than you will be able to take a very honest look at the situation.

And as far as caves go: this all ties in. So to avoid confusion, I will stitch this one together. Caves breath, they bring outside air in and out (airflow). In fact I recall an article posted in the news section some time ago about climate research in caves (regarding figuring out past climates because things dont change very fast in a cave).

Now the politics: Caves are being closed all over the place. It does not matter which side of the WNS fence you sit on, legislation effects you too :sadbanana: .

So in fact this does tie into caving quite well. Hay believe it or not volcanoes do too! So I wish everyone a happy evening... Its bedtime here.
plicpriest1
Prolific Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 60892

Postby tncaver » Jun 3, 2011 10:57 am

It seems that some of our US legislators agree and are proposing a bill to limit some of the abuses by overzealous money grabbing
extremist environmental groups. I have written my US legislators to encourage them to help pass this bill. If you want to continue caving
in the US, I suggest everyone that reads this forum do the same.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja ... al-groups/
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jun 7, 2011 1:52 pm

I wonder if the wolves have similar discussions about us on their howling-forums at night during the full moon...

Wolf 1: ooOOOoooooOoOOooooo.... "the Alpha male refuses to allow pack access across the salmon creek. That's totally unfair."
Wolf 2: oooooOOOOooOOOooooo.... "Dude, its cause there are humans there. He doesn't want you to get shot.
Wolf 1: OooooOOOOoOoooOOOo.... "I should be able to do what I wa- is that Shirley silhouetted against the moon?? She's hot.
Wolf 2: OOOooo... "Dude. That's Gary. What is wrong with you?"

anyways, the bill to rein in the extreme 'conservlegalists' is some interesting legislation. Considering the way which the CBD exploits loopholes to pay its own bills, I'm in favor of legislative change to kick them in the short and curlies. Amusingly, the bad guys always seem to get taken down financially. After all, that's how we got Al Capone.

anyways, everyone should relax and remember that this is a caving forum.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby tncaver » Jun 7, 2011 2:28 pm

hewhocaves wrote:
anyways, everyone should relax and remember that this is a caving forum.

And the CBD wants to stop you and all of us from caving forever. Think about it and then do something about it.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jon » Jan 4, 2012 1:19 am

Old topic just found but here I go............

Rain falling from the sky collects CO2, it goes underground and then outgasses in caves. Caves breath. To cure global warming we MUST seal ALL caves. Then the rain will cleanse the atmosphere of CO2, transport it underground to become trapped in climate change conservation chambers previously known as caves.

PROBLEM SOLVED
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Jon » Jan 4, 2012 1:28 am

Oh and I forgot the rest of the story:

Lack of CO2 means less plant life, less plant life means less critters eating plants. Less critters eating plants means less food for wolves. Less food for wolves means less wolves.

Wow this is an election year and I just cured global warming and the wolf problem. GIve me another minute and I'll solve the middle eastern problem.

Come Nov be sure and write me in. By the way my running mates name is For King.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Jan 4, 2012 8:18 am

Actually, underground CO2 storage isn't as out there as it may seem. Or maybe it is.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jan 4, 2012 10:19 am

You guys should be shot for resurrecting this embarrassing thread. Ignorance overstepping its bounds.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jan 4, 2012 10:42 am

Anonymous_Coward wrote:You guys should be shot for resurrecting this embarrassing thread. Ignorance overstepping its bounds.

The question here is "whose ignorance"? :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jon » Jan 5, 2012 12:38 am

Wow talk about hateful and intolerant (Anonymous_Coward ). I just came across an old thread and thought I'd toss a little levity in. Good old fashioned sarcasm. Get real, both sides of both issues will NEVER be settled, and if you think they will well you are dumber than some of the arguments on both sides of both issues. If you can't have a little fun once in a while then you are truly the ignorant one.

Anonymous_Coward excuse me for trying to read about things and enlighten myself and excuse me all to hell for offending you. I should have known that you are the enlightened one
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 5, 2012 10:58 am

:chill:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby MUD » Jan 5, 2012 11:14 am

plicpriest1 wrote:Caves are being closed all over the place. It does not matter which side of the WNS fence you sit on, legislation effects you too :sadbanana:

:big grin: Caves are being opened up all over the place too! Since I mostly cave in privately owned caves that only a very small handful of cavers know about, that legislation doesn't mean a thing to me and never will. :wink:

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby tncaver » Jan 5, 2012 2:23 pm

Likewise I cave on private property but I know a lot of people who would like to see the great caves the state has bought up and closed
off. First the state acquires hundreds of caves in the name of recreation and conservation and then they close them all whether there are bats in them or not. Pitiful. So much for taxpayer money benefiting the tax payers. I doubt it benefited bats either since it is obvious that humans are
not spreading WNS. If you don't believe that then you need to pull your head out of the sand (or mud).
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation Forum