Neversink

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Neversink

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Amy,

WNS hasn't really been a factor for cave conservation IMHO. It has steadily been improving for decades. People used to dump carbide (or crap) with never a thought. Now, if they use carbide they mostly carry it out and same for cave burritos. Partly its also because some of these sites are seeing more traffic. The number of people willing to drop neversink on PMI maxwear and a mitchell system is probably a bit different than the old days of hemp ropes, goldline, and prusiks...
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Batgirl » Jan 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I personally think we need to get away from this old timer vs noobie caver mentality. WE ARE ALL CAVERS! It doesn't matter how long you have been caving. Of course when you are new to the sport there is a learning curve, as it would be with any sport. But conservation of the resource has, and always will be, at the core of our principles. We should not be sliding on this no matter how long we have been caving and we certainly should never decide which rules are not as important and therefore can be bent. Rules and policies are in place for a reason because they protect you, the resource and future generations.

That being said, the problems at Neversink are not all that new. Impact and erosion due to humans has been occurring there for at least a decade. The original rigging tree was cut down because of the same issues. Soil became packed and the roots were exposed and the tree died. If it were not cut down, it would have rotted and someone could have been killed. The problem now is that more and more people are visiting this pit because its location is well known and because of the many stories and pictures that have been posted in all sorts of media. The problem with over use of any resource always leads to decline and eventual failure.

The question is "Are we stewards or users?"
:bat sticker:
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I wouldn't say 2-3 years = new cavers. In the 3 years ive caved ive gone on over 90 trips. thats more than some people who have been caving for 10 years.

Years caving doesnt necessarily mean experienced, especially if you only go caving once every 2-3 months.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Sungura wrote:Just a thought...as a no0b... all I hear about is conservation. Okay, not all. But, this is coming in after WNS. The younger people I cave with seem to be much more conservation minded than the older people, in general.

The above statement has been abreviated by me to get to a point.

Now, here's the point:
Conservation is GREAT! A lot of oldies have taught conservation for years. A lot of newbies are good listeners. The bottom line is that anything carried
to the extreme can become a bad thing. Hence the old saying, "too much of a good thing is a bad thing". All you newbies and a lot of the oldies
out there need to observe that saying and practice common sense. Seems common sense is lacking in a lot of places these days. :cavingrocks:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 21, 2011 11:00 pm

tncaver wrote: Seems common sense is lacking in a lot of places these days. :cavingrocks:
Yeah, it ain't really common anymore. It's more like rare sense.

And good point, Chad. I've been caving 7 months and been on about 20 trips. But since I'm not a great climber and I haven't done anything vertical I def consider myself new. I mean, the longest trip I've ever been on was only 9 hrs. Hrm I'm curious now....*goes off to start new topic*
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby 76gt80 » Jan 22, 2011 12:34 am

Neversink can recieve so much rain that the bottom is over 20 feet under water. There are remnants of several very large trees at the bottom. If you can visualize it, the entire top of what is now Neversink was once completely covered with trees. Erosion happens with or without cavers/new cavers. Rig Safely.
76gt80
Infrequent Poster

Name: Allan
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BhamGrotto

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum