Tracking Fracture Mining Activity Near Caves (NY)

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tracking Fracture Mining Activity Near Caves (NY)

Postby peter febb » Jun 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Trogman writes:
If fracture mining is definitively shown to do what you and its critics claim, then I will be right there with you opposing it.

All of the quotes come from the nearby links as posted.

You might want to look closely at the number of caves that are close to drill sites, found in separate topics for PA and WV, with a special topic just for actual violations in PA.

I consider all caves to be my "back yard", and the wells are already too close for my comfort.
Last edited by peter febb on Jul 1, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Name: Peter Febbroriello
NSS #: 20246
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG

Postby nathanroser » Jun 27, 2011 5:58 pm

From what I understand about gas drilling these days is that since all the easy pickings near the surface are used up, they drill these wells thousands of feet down. At that depth there should be no gorundwater contamination because it is well below the water table and below the karst. So any sort of pollution from this should mean there is nasties leaking out of the drill pipes, or they're dumping crap on the surface or obviously doing something else wrong. And the fracking stuff they use looks like this nasty white goo. Anyone care to explain the process of exactly how the gorundwater gets contaminated.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby tncaver » Jun 27, 2011 6:19 pm

muddyface wrote:From what I understand about gas drilling these days is that since all the easy pickings near the surface are used up, they drill these wells thousands of feet down. At that depth there should be no gorundwater contamination because it is well below the water table and below the karst. So any sort of pollution from this should mean there is nasties leaking out of the drill pipes, or they're dumping crap on the surface or obviously doing something else wrong. And the fracking stuff they use looks like this nasty white goo. Anyone care to explain the process of exactly how the gorundwater gets contaminated.

Maybe pressure forces "stuff" up through the drill hole and mixing (contamination) occurs. The BP spill in the Gulf should be an example where things can
and do go wrong.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby peter febb » Jul 1, 2011 5:37 pm

Look here for the info you seek:http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10827
John Mylroie writes:
New York especially has a lot of shales that are suitable for fracking. The NEC might want to look into the potential risks and hazards. The risk is not theoretical, it is direct. Cavers could suffer illness, injury and possible death while in caves from contact with materials released by the fracking process.
I hope this is helpful. I am not an alarmist, but the fracking process to extract natural gas has some pretty scary implications.
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Just saw New York state is proposing to lift the ban on fracking. See here for a thorough investigative report.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby tncaver » Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm

NZcaver wrote:Just saw New York state is proposing to lift the ban on fracking. See here for a thorough investigative report.

I saw that too. Doesn't seem to matter what it does to people's water. Gas and oil are more important than clean water right? :doh:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby peter febb » Aug 9, 2012 5:04 pm

Map and list of banned areas in NY state
http://www.fractracker.org/fractracker-maps/ny-moratoria/

The above map with caves (green dots) added:
UPDATED 09/25/2012

green dots: Caves
blue hex: Utica wells
yellow hex: Marcellus well permits
orange hex: Wildcat wells
Last edited by peter febb on Sep 25, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Postby peter febb » Sep 24, 2012 10:00 am

Late last Thursday, Joe Martens, the leader of New York State’s environmental agency, released a statement rejecting the recommendation of physicians and health professionals, environmental and community groups, and thousands of concerned New Yorkers for an independent health impacts assessment of industrial gas drilling by means of horizontal drilling and high-volume hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking.”

http://www.eany.org/news/capitol-insider/459-sept-24-2012
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Sep 27, 2012 11:00 pm

All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Bumbalawski » Sep 28, 2012 12:40 pm

I am very next to the latest fracking battleground area, Maryland. 4 miles to be exact. I have done my research, both pro and con. The bottom line, casings do fail. Water sources get contaminated. Infrastructures such as roads get "beat to a pulp" while the tax payer foots the bill. Things such as fault lines are ignored. No permenant jobs, just temporary ones. Drill crews are "rovers", not locals. And the bulk of the natural gas, when the pipelines are completed, will go to China. First shipment to China just left our ports. So much for "patriotic oil men". "Country people" will not have natural gas piped to there home, only the city dwellers will. The oil and gas men did their best to bury the documentary "Gasland". Now, how are they going to bury a famous named actor and his film, Promised Land? I am not against natural gas drilling. I am against the method of which it done.

And how long before a fracked well leaks methane into a neighboring cave? If we were back in the "carbide light days", we would find out pretty quickly.

Donnie Carns
Bedford County
Beans Cove Pa.
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby peter febb » Mar 6, 2013 2:33 pm

ALBANY — A day before the Assembly plans to pass a two-year moratorium on hydrofracking, the Senate's five-member Independent Democratic Conference put forth a similar proposal that would stop the clock on the state's long consideration of the controversial natural gas drilling technique.

Read more:http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Fracking-ban-gains-support-4331321.php#ixzz2Mn1vqupR
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Postby peter febb » Apr 3, 2013 6:36 am

Neighbouring US towns worlds apart on natural gas 'fracking'
The BBC's Laura Trevelyan spoke to residents of two small towns - Hancock in New York, which is waiting to hear if a moratorium on drilling will be lifted, and New Milford in Pennsylvania, where a fracking boom is already underway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22006486
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Postby peter febb » Mar 28, 2015 10:15 am

Most recent Ban/Moratorium map for New York State
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Postby peter febb » Jun 29, 2015 5:14 pm

The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has completed all the review steps, and high-volume hydraulic fracturing is now banned in New York State. The ban was made official with today's release of the state's Final Findings Statement (FFS).

http://www.health.ny.gov/press/reports/docs/high_volume_hydraulic_fracturing.pdf
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum