Smokers in a cave

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby JadeRoseOden » Aug 23, 2006 10:09 pm

:argue: Yes; smoking is not cool, especially in a cave. oh, while I'm here: If anyone knows the GPS to Byers Cave or maybe a hint to its where abouts on Fox Mountain in Dade County, of course, but I've never actually found the cave. But, I've been to Hurricane and Cemetery Pitt. Please if you have any info, have a heart {me and my husband have been trying to find this cave for 2 years}. email me, JadeRoseOden@hotmail.com
JadeRoseOden
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 23, 2006 11:13 pm

JadeRoseOden wrote::argue: Yes; smoking is not cool, especially in a cave. oh, while I'm here: If anyone knows the GPS to Byers Cave or maybe a hint to its where abouts on Fox Mountain in Dade County, of course, but I've never actually found the cave. But, I've been to Hurricane and Cemetery Pitt. Please if you have any info, have a heart {me and my husband have been trying to find this cave for 2 years}. email me, JadeRoseOden@hotmail.com

Hi Jade,
I suggest you contact someone in a nearby grotto and ask them for a tour or directions. If your hubby really loves caving perhaps you can take him to a grotto meeting for his birthday or something. Get to know the grotto, and you will be rewarded with alot more info than you'll ever gain by posting here...
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby wendy » Aug 24, 2006 6:30 am

JoeyS wrote:
JadeRoseOden wrote::argue: Yes; smoking is not cool, especially in a cave. oh, while I'm here: If anyone knows the GPS to Byers Cave or maybe a hint to its where abouts on Fox Mountain in Dade County, of course, but I've never actually found the cave. But, I've been to Hurricane and Cemetery Pitt. Please if you have any info, have a heart {me and my husband have been trying to find this cave for 2 years}. email me, JadeRoseOden@hotmail.com

Hi Jade,
I suggest you contact someone in a nearby grotto and ask them for a tour or directions. If your hubby really loves caving perhaps you can take him to a grotto meeting for his birthday or something. Get to know the grotto, and you will be rewarded with alot more info than you'll ever gain by posting here...

ditto on that about getting in touch with the local grotto about going to Byers. I beleive that it has only been open back up to caving for barely a year now, and I don't know what access is like. Don't want to upset a landowner right after getting access back you know.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Mike Cato » Aug 24, 2006 8:50 am

Byer's is located in the SCCi's Fox Mountain Preserve.

Are you an SCCi member? I'm a sustaining member and recommend that any serious caver join.

Anyway, become a member and then contact one of the folks whose names you can get at http://www.scci.org. (Click on the "Preserves" link at the bottom.) I've had location questions in the past and they're very helpful...

...Membership has its advantages. :wink:
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby JadeRoseOden » Aug 25, 2006 8:48 pm

:kewl: Thank you to everyone for your information. As for My question, I didn't realize that I wasn't allowed to ask.. I rarely use the Internet, and I only did this to appease my Husband. I will become a member of the SCSI, I probably should have contacted them, instead of searching on the Internet (which, I dislike), or contacted the grotto... :doh: If I angered anyone, I deeply apologize.... I was just trying to make it easier for our next trip up Fox Mountain. Thanks.
JadeRoseOden
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 25, 2006 9:43 pm

Well I'll be the 1st one to apologize for being a bit snippy... But none the less, even if this cave is highly preserved, there are lots of other caves you could explore in the general area. If you guys go to a grotto meeting, you might be caving somewhere before you know what hit you... Even if it isn't Byer's.
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Aug 25, 2006 10:35 pm

Ditto on the contacting the SCCI--they are the land manager. but folks around here are on reflex about contacting grottos, because this is the NSS board, so don't be offended by their insistence with the grotto thing. Not all who cave are social groupies. At one time, there was (and perhaps still is) the solitary NSS member-very good and productive people who aren't into the whole pizza and beer thing. You do NOT have to be in a grotto to be in the NSS, so don't feel like you have to. There are plenty of good books, and videos and other resources out there. Many of the state surveys are not affiliates of the NSS, but they do very good work, for those who are into caves, but not the whole socialization thing. And state surveys, too, have access to cave information.

I seriously wonder how many people we as a Society drive away from the national NSS because there is this --gotta go to meeting thing operating. Sometimes it's as pushy as AA or a church group, I swear.

So feel welcomed, Jade, but don't let the grotto groupies get to you.

Teresa
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 25, 2006 11:11 pm

Teresa wrote:Ditto on the contacting the SCCI--they are the land manager. but folks around here are on reflex about contacting grottos, because this is the NSS board, so don't be offended by their insistence with the grotto thing. Not all who cave are social groupies. At one time, there was (and perhaps still is) the solitary NSS member-very good and productive people who aren't into the whole pizza and beer thing. You do NOT have to be in a grotto to be in the NSS, so don't feel like you have to. There are plenty of good books, and videos and other resources out there. Many of the state surveys are not affiliates of the NSS, but they do very good work, for those who are into caves, but not the whole socialization thing. And state surveys, too, have access to cave information.

I seriously wonder how many people we as a Society drive away from the national NSS because there is this --gotta go to meeting thing operating. Sometimes it's as pushy as AA or a church group, I swear.

Teresa

I've never eaten pizza with my grotto. We alway do Mexican after a good cave trip. :banana:
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Aug 26, 2006 6:32 am

JoeyS wrote:
Teresa wrote:Ditto on the contacting the SCCI--they are the land manager. but folks around here are on reflex about contacting grottos, because this is the NSS board, so don't be offended by their insistence with the grotto thing. Not all who cave are social groupies. At one time, there was (and perhaps still is) the solitary NSS member-very good and productive people who aren't into the whole pizza and beer thing. You do NOT have to be in a grotto to be in the NSS, so don't feel like you have to. There are plenty of good books, and videos and other resources out there. Many of the state surveys are not affiliates of the NSS, but they do very good work, for those who are into caves, but not the whole socialization thing. And state surveys, too, have access to cave information.

Teresa

I've never eaten pizza with my grotto. We alway do Mexican after a good cave trip. :banana:

omg my grotto goes out for Mexican after caving too.

I know a lot of good cavers that are members of the NSS that do not belong to a grotto. The only reason I am a member of the grotto that I am in is because I didn't like the grotto where i live, and most of the folks I cave with belong to another one, its just about 3 hours from me. We don't have regular meetins, and there are only bout 5 or 6 of us that are really active doing stuff together.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby mabercrombie » Aug 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Theres nothing better than guacomole and beer after caving. In the defense of smoking and caving I dont smoke while im caving but a cigar comes in pretty handy when your ridgewalking and want to see how much air that hole in the ground is moving.
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby Hatch » Aug 28, 2006 11:41 am

wendy wrote:
JoeyS wrote:

omg my grotto goes out for Mexican after caving too.

There's nothing like a cold Dos Equis and lots of chips and salsa after a good trip. Unfortunately, Joey's been making me drive lately so I have to stop after one glass. :toast: (The first smiley is me.)
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765

Postby Wayne Harrison » Aug 30, 2006 9:47 am

On a related note, today's news...

The amount of nicotine in cigarettes is on the rise.

Massachusetts health officials said Tuesday that a six-year study shows a steady climb in the amount of nicotine delivered to the lungs of smokers.

From 1998 to 2004, overall nicotine yields have increased by about 10 percent, regardless of brand.

Lois Keithly, director of the state's tobacco control program, said the increase not only makes it harder for smokers to quit but also makes it easier for first-time smokers to get hooked.

Massachusetts is one of three states to require tobacco companies to submit information about nicotine.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Mike Cato » Aug 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:The amount of nicotine in cigarettes is on the rise.

Ahhh, that'll make my roughly one cigarette a week even more enjoyable.
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby kvart » Sep 1, 2006 7:16 am

This has turned into a two cigarette thread!

:frymyhide:
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby graveleye » Sep 1, 2006 2:42 pm

kaff kaff kaff.. wheeeeze

someone open up a window in here!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation Forum