Another dig in Horseshoe Cave, Montana

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 24, 2008 11:39 am

With this article, you can see they're at it again in southeast Montana, finding all kinds of early-man in Horseshoe Cave.
http://www.montana.edu:80/cpa/news/nwvi ... ticle=6402 Interesting name, for I thought it was "Horsethief Cave." Oh, well! Maybe someone will explain the differences between those who are digging and the cavers.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Another dig in Horseshoe Cave, Montana

Postby Caverdale » Oct 24, 2008 11:56 am

Ernie - The entrance photograph doesn't look anything like the entrance to Horsethief Cave. Also, from the written description, Horseshoe Cave is near Tongue River, which is on the eastern side of the range, whereas Horsethief is on the west side. And, the area is northeast, not southeast Montana.

Have a nice day. :tonguecheek:
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 24, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for straightening me out, Dale. It's been a long time, since I was there...and can only remember the name--Which in this case, I didn't remember but only half of. :rofl: Good hearing from you and see 'ya in Texas!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tlaloc » Oct 24, 2008 7:15 pm

Caverdale wrote:...near Tongue River, which is on the eastern side of the range, whereas Horsethief is on the west side. And, the area is northeast, not southeast Montana.

Actually the Tongue River IS in southeast Montana, NOT northeast. The tongue flows from Wyoming into Montana north of Sheridan, Wyoming.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caverdale » Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Tlaloc wrote:
Caverdale wrote:...near Tongue River, which is on the eastern side of the range, whereas Horsethief is on the west side. And, the area is northeast, not southeast Montana.

Actually the Tongue River IS in southeast Montana, NOT northeast. The tongue flows from Wyoming into Montana north of Sheridan, Wyoming.

Right you are! :doh: When Ernie wrote Horsethief Cave I thought of Wyoming. The only time I've visited the east side of the range was to see Tongue River Cave, also in Wyoming. Never double-checked the title to see the article was for a cave in Montana. My bad. This is what happens when you think you know everything.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 24, 2008 8:54 pm

And, Dale, Tongue River is pretty cool, but what with all the American graffiti, I doubt whether they'd want to do a study on that. Whatcha' think? :roll:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum