Fish species found in caves.........new?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Fish species found in caves.........new?

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 8, 2008 7:49 pm

Can anyone verify with a source if Big Mouth Buffalo, Common Carp or Blue Gill's have been found living in caves before?

Has anyone else confirmed these fish living in caves? We have a large fish fossil incrusted into the rocks on the bank of the cave as well. This of course means these fish have been living in this cave for a long long time....................

Carp

Big Mouth Buffalo

Fossil

Blue gill
Last edited by Chads93GT on Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Fish species found in caves.........new?

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 8, 2008 8:01 pm

LOL

sorry. The fish fossil is cool but is in no way indicative of how long the present species have been there.

To answer your question, epigean or surface fish are frequently found in caves and often develop permanent residence there. Any google search for caves and epigean fish should get you some sources. Sculpin are the most common, but I have been in at least a half dozen caves with stunted bluegill. It is also common for them to gradually lose pigment. Buffalo, carp, shiners, ect can also sometimes be found although most caves generally won't support large fish permanently so your case is a bit odd unless of course there is a easy water connection to an outside creek or river.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Fish species found in caves.........new?

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 8, 2008 8:21 pm

hehe, yeah the sculpin down here are blind, and dont have any eyes. ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum