Cool Fossil Books

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cool Fossil Books

Postby Teresa » May 7, 2008 11:26 pm

(I don't get any cut from this.)

Just thought I'd alert those layman paleo types around here that two fairly new fossil books by Bruce Stinchcomb, The World's Oldest Fossils and Paleozoic Fossils are pretty cool and worth the purchase price. Dr. Stinchcomb is retired from Florissant Valley Community College where he taught for a very long time, and now he's doing these for Schiffer Books.

What is neat about these full color books is he has some museum quality specimens in there and right beside them, the sort a fossil collector usually finds (broken, worn, trilobites in cross-section, etc.) so they are pretty helpful in actually IDing what you have.

(I do know the man, but was never a student of his -- he's the fellow who tracked down and confirmed an almost lost hadrosaur site in Missouri. Then he bought it so the excavation was done right. He also wrote articles about cryptoexplosive structures being impact structures when most people pooh-poohed the idea. He's got some interest in caves, though his real expertise is paleontology.)
Just FYI. Posted here because we get an amazing number of "what fossil is this?" questions around here.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum