Here's your speleothem lessons for the day

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Here's your speleothem lessons for the day

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Here's an article with a picture from Peter Jones on speleothem lessons for the day, in case you weren't aware of them. This item could have been in the Newspaper area, but because of the nice way of discussing the formation types, etc., I thought it should be here, instead.

http://www.currentargus.com:80/ci_8284758

:cavingrocks:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Here's your speleothem lessons for the day

Postby Teresa » Feb 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Here's an article with a picture from Peter Jones on speleothem lessons for the day, in case you weren't aware of them. This item could have been in the Newspaper area, but because of the nice way of discussing the formation types, etc., I thought it should be here, instead.
http://www.currentargus.com:80/ci_8284758

The formation is the rock strata the cave is in. The speleothem is a secondary mineral deposit, often of calcite, but may be other minerals. There are also interesting rocks, carved from the formations (walls) such as anastomoses, pendants, scallops, etc., which are speleogens.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Here's your speleothem lessons for the day

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 18, 2008 5:16 pm

technically you can also get speleothem deposits from mineral rich water rising from deep within the earth, but it was still a decent laymans article.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum