Boil Holes???

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Boil Holes???

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 2, 2008 12:47 am

we have been diving an estavelle locally here and during full flow as well to aid in clearing sediments that have accumulated.i will post pictures to see if it seems similar to what some are coining boil holes.it will be a couple weeks though as i am post surgery at the moment.interesting subject though,thanks to contributers.the boil will elevate up to 2ft above the surface water level to give a sort of gauge.i should stick a pitot gauge on and get the flow

i apologize for single case, i am operating the net under sedation and medical bondage of a rather devious design :hairpull:
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 2, 2008 10:12 am

I have mentioned the Caney Fork "boil" to a local Tennessee cave diver. Whether or not
he will attempt the dive remains to be seen.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 6, 2008 2:45 pm

The picture included with the original poster is near Slaty Fork WV - I can provide a little more detail on the area (at least until the important people correct me :tonguecheek: )

The area's karst is located in a steep sided, narrow valley with clastic hills on each side. Cave entrances are located at the point where the hills meet the plains. The basin has an active stream in wet weather (the Slaty Fork) with limestone pavement in the streambed. There is between ten and thirty feet of sediment (cobble, gravel and clay) which fills the rest of the valley, obscuring most of the karst features.

At the downstream end of the valley, the carbonates run out, bringing the water up to the surface. Its in this area that the *boils* pop up. Water can be coming from either overflow of karst conduits during high water or as runoff from off the mountains going under the basin fill and moving it.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Previous

Return to Speleology Forum