River water levels

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

River water levels

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 16, 2007 11:41 am

While not specifically related to caving this is an interesting site showing real-time water levels in rivers around the country. This is a link to the Woodville, AL monitoring site for the Paint Rock River.
http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=hun&gage=wdva1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby tangled_slinky » Jan 16, 2007 10:29 pm

one of my geology professors loves the waterwatch site. i'm more impressed by the number of black dots in my state. :scuba:
The love of dirt is among the earliest of passions, as it is the latest. Mud-pies gratify one of our first and best instincts. So long as we are dirty, we are pure. -C.D. Warner
tangled_slinky
Occasional Poster

Name: Kate Ferguson
NSS #: 56925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wittenberg University Speleological Society

Postby George Dasher » Jan 17, 2007 10:58 am

That was neat.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm

The water level monitor is easily visible near Woodville just east of Paint Rock on Rt 72. As you cross the bridge over the Paint Rock River near the turn to the lane to Nat Mountain you can see an antenna attached to an equipment box. That is the level monitor and satellite upload antenna.

We could have used the data back around 1983 on a visit to Fern. We were in JV's red truck with a couple of others for a trip into the cave. We parked at the parking lot at the bottom of the mountain and watched the water level of the river for about 30 minutes before becoming convinced the water was receding. It was very high then due to heavy storms the night before.

When we returned to the truck 7-8 hrs later the water was over the seats and equipment was floating back in the bed. Groan...... We had to rig a rope to pull it thru some low spots on the road where we risked floating right into the river. The truck would not start.

We walked into Paint Rock and called Eric Steenburn, I think, to come rescue us. Eric did that for us a couple of times back then. Pesky rivers..... :D
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Speleology Forum