Dunbar?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Dunbar?

Postby bigalpha » Oct 6, 2005 7:08 pm

Ok, so recently I was told about a theory that Dunbar may not be an old river meander. The evidence is compelling. However, a prof at APSU (Dr. Phillip Kemmerly) claims that, without a doubt, Dunbar is from an old meander.

Now, not saying anyone is right or wrong - what kind of evidence backs up both sides; and is it possible it's not a meander? If that's the case, then a study should be done, and published.

Al
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Oct 9, 2005 11:21 pm

bump.

Also, I've heard that there is some structure here in the clarksville area... some regional anticlines and such. I keep hearing about the uplift. What was this uplift from?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Geology of Dunbar Cave

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Oct 12, 2005 7:46 am

Having just spent quite a bit of time in Dunbar Cave the past year and a half while researching my book "Dunbar Cave: The Showplace of the South", I must say I see nothing remarkable about the geology of Dunbar Cave, To me, it just appears to be a typical, albeit longer than average, Highland Rim Cave.

The Entrance is the outlet for the underground cave stream which drains the overlying sinkhole plain. As is typical, this stream outlet is near local base level, the Red River.

Structure in the area in very minor. Dunbar Cave is an active stream cave, draining perhaps 10 square miles. Both local Clarksville cavers and Indiana cavers are still exploring the cave and perhaps as much as one-half mile of new cave has been discovered since by book was published in May, 2005.

The staff at Dunbar Cave was quite helpful to me when I did my study, which was mostly historical in nature. I'm sure if someone wanted to study the geology of the cave, they could get permission to do so.

Larry E. Matthews
Professional Geologist
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby bigalpha » Oct 12, 2005 8:13 am

Yeah, I used to work there, and it was a lot of fun. I was just going off of the topo map, and the way it looked - someone pointed out to me that it is highly unlikely that it is a meander and I was just wondering if there was scientific evidence for or against that theory.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Peggy Renwick » Dec 14, 2005 1:45 pm

Well if you've seen the topo then I am sure you have noticed the rim of sinks just north of the system. All are plainly infeeders, all are at a higher elevation and known passage runs directly at them. I personally don't think this was a meander. Although it is odd that large amounts of rain don't seem to effect water levels that much. And currently new areas are going to add .43 mi with Double Dead Dog Drop included in that.
and remember when you found the key
to his hideout in the pyrenees
but you wanted to keep his secret safe
so you threw the key away
-- the decemberists
Peggy Renwick
Occasional Poster

Postby Hatch » Dec 14, 2005 3:05 pm

It's been a while since I took Geology, but by the uplift you might be talking about the meteor crater near Paris, TN. I've seen slides taken inside a cave in the crater that shows nearly vertical strata. I can't recall the name of the cave, but you can google Tennessee meteor craters to find out more about the crater.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby BenC » Dec 17, 2005 10:57 am

I looked at the Wells Creek Crater at the link you set up. I really think it's too far away. And it is on the other side of the river. Not sure if that would effect anything. Although I'm sure it has had an effect on the geology in the surrounding area. The Geography changes abruptly in the area, going from almost flat to rolling hills to steep valley as it approaches the Red River.
Note: I am not a geologist.

This area seems to be a border between Mississippian Limestone and The Mississippian Embayment. But it was formed farther away from the delta than the Chester uplift. So it is finer and without a sandstone cap. But the resurgence ( spring that feeds into the lake ) does flow into the river at least on paper by an intermittent stream. There is a clearly defined Sinkhole plain that pretty much surrounds St.Bethlehem ( now governors square mall ). To me it seems just the work of elevation created by the river, soluble rock and a large area to drain from.
I refer all questions to a hyper-intelligent shade of blue.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Return to Speleology Forum