A new name for the Grotto salamander?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

A new name for the Grotto salamander?

Postby Uncle Muddy » Oct 9, 2006 1:48 pm

I've recently read that the troglobitic (blind) Grotto Salamander, typhlotriton spaleus, has been renamed, eurycea spalea, more closely related to the common Cave Salamander, eurycea lucifuga. I haven't heard who renamed the little critter or why. Anybody know? BTW: I'm almost certain that my spelling of the species is less than special.
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Eurycea spelaea

Postby nemotin » Oct 10, 2006 9:05 am

It is still the grotto salamander only the bionomial has changed. Bonnet and Chippindale (2004) suggested placement of Typhlotriton in Eurycea after examining mitochondrial DNA and a nuclear DNA marker. Frost (2004) changed the name from Eurycea spelaeus to Eurycea spelaea for gender agreement between the genus and specific epithet.
nemotin
Infrequent Poster

Postby Uncle Muddy » Oct 10, 2006 9:32 am

nemotin wrote:It is still the grotto salamander only the bionomial has changed. Bonnet and Chippindale (2004) suggested placement of Typhlotriton in Eurycea after examining mitochondrial DNA and a nuclear DNA marker. Frost (2004) changed the name from Eurycea spelaeus to Eurycea spelaea for gender agreement between the genus and specific epithet.
Thanks, Nemotin. I like all those little cave critters. It's nice to know their names.
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Return to Speleology Forum