Cagles Spider Species?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cagles Spider Species?

Postby GypsumWolf » Oct 9, 2006 9:52 am

Do you all know what kind of spider this is? It was very big, bigger then the young slimey salamander near it (of course that might not help much).

Date: 10/7/06

Check out my web-server: http://unserv.net/
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Cato » Oct 9, 2006 10:02 am

Um, is it a "Wolf" Spider?

Here's a link to a female wolf spider. They look significantly different from the males. Check this link (scroll down the page, male and female shown):

http://tinyurl.com/n5vu6
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Yes

Postby GypsumWolf » Oct 9, 2006 10:07 am

Thanks. It looks just like the Genus:Hogna Species:Helluo.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Oct 9, 2006 3:03 pm

Looks to me the type that would get me shuddering uncontrollably if I ever saw it.
Had at one time checked out this crawl-lead that went to nothing. Sigh, ok... flipped over on to my back and there on the ceiling about 4 inches from my face was this nice sized spider just clinging there. .... I don't remember the crawl back out.
Like Ron Weasley I rather follow the butterflies.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Grandpa Caver » Oct 9, 2006 4:35 pm

Ralph E. Powers wrote:Looks to me the type that would get me shuddering uncontrollably if I ever saw it.
Had at one time checked out this crawl-lead that went to nothing. Sigh, ok... flipped over on to my back and there on the ceiling about 4 inches from my face was this nice sized spider just clinging there. .... I don't remember the crawl back out.
Like Ron Weasley I rather follow the butterflies.

I hear ya Ralph. On a ridgewalk for the Hoosier Nat'l. Forest, I crawled into a very small "sit up" room. when I raised my head to check out the ceiling, my light nearly brushed a very large Wolf spider. My exit was very slow to avoid disturbing it further.

On another occasion I saw what I thought was a mouse run across my basement floor. Turning on a light revealed a Wolf spider with a 5 inch leg span. My bedroom was in the basement at the time...I now sleep upstairs!
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby cavemanjonny » Oct 9, 2006 11:00 pm

Ralph E. Powers wrote:there on the ceiling about 4 inches from my face was this nice sized spider just clinging there.

That's why I like carbide so much.
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 56510

Postby FiddleCaver » Oct 10, 2006 12:03 am

I'm a big wuss when it comes to spiders. One time there was some freaking crazy ones in this tight lead, so instead of pushing on I let my girlfriend take over the lead checking so she could scare them off for me... :grin:
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby vaejovis » Oct 28, 2006 12:35 pm

How big was this spider? Size of a small egg, or more the size of your palm?

Come on boys! It is only a spider - they can't hurt you all that much! Besides, spiders rock and butterflies are boring.
vaejovis
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 28, 2006 4:25 pm

vaejovis wrote:Come on boys! It is only a spider.

:rofl:

Spiders are great. You know I dont even kill them in the house anymore no matter how loud my wife is hollerin. I hear that spider-alarm going off and I usually meander towards the sound of the alarm, smug and certain I will need a magnifying glass to even see it. Most of the time I am equiped with a glass or clear plastic container, and a flat piece of plastic. The glass goes over the spider, and slide the plastic underneath and now you have a pet spider. I usually have a good gander at it and then take it out to the bushes in the back. I figure he probably came inside on accident, so he'd probably rather be back outside.

Usually the spider alarms result in non-life threatening, or heart stopping spiders. IOW, the spider alarm is very sensitive and goes off at the smallest of spiders.

One day, I heard it going off in the downstairs bathroom and I thought my bemused, "Isnt that cute" thoughts and headed to the rescue. This time however, when I turned into the room, I even had to stop and go "whoa!". A big she-wolf was sitting there on the floor. I was so impressed that the spider alarm really did come through this time! Did a little catch, observe and release and we were safe again.

In my experience, wolf spiders are actually pretty mellow.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby tropicalbats » Oct 30, 2006 12:08 am

Yeah, spiders. I like em.

Here's the one that most nearly bit me in a cave, a tarantula in Panama. I decided I didn't want to get it muddy so grabbed it a bit too gently and didn't get my fingers placed right. While showing the biting parts to a buddy, it nearly got around and gave a demonstration. Normally I just let them walk around on me, but you can't see the fangs so well that way.

Anyway, we left it (and us) unharmed after a photo.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Oct 30, 2006 12:17 am

I found this rain spider hiding among my kid's toys in Lusaka, Zambia. It had a 7" legspan and was most cool. Probably best that I found it and took it outside before my kid, 1.5 years old at the time, decided to play with it, though.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Oct 30, 2006 12:30 am

Spiders, man I got lots of stories, but I'll end with the most current. Here's a photo of a Yellow Sac Spider taken in my kitchen in Falls Church, Virginia. It's probably the third most poisonous spider regularly encountered in the US.

Yep, as much as I like spiders, these get mooshed. Didn't stop my kid, now 4.5 years old from getting bitten six weeks ago. Last week the wound stopped re-opening and bleeding. Should be down to a little round scar in another two or three weeks. The kid and I find it rather uninteresting. The wife's opinion differs.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 30, 2006 4:31 am

Wow, Keith. Bummer for the kiddo! I'm glad he's recovering!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

d

Postby GypsumWolf » Oct 30, 2006 7:21 am

vaejovis wrote:How big was this spider? Size of a small egg, or more the size of your palm?

Come on boys! It is only a spider - they can't hurt you all that much! Besides, spiders rock and butterflies are boring.

It was closer to palm size.

I like bugs, and all animals. I am trying to get a picture of every species there is (which will take forever).

Do you all remember the computer game Amazon Trail? That sortof gave me the idea.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Oct 31, 2006 12:22 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:Wow, Keith. Bummer for the kiddo! I'm glad he's recovering!

Bam,

Nah, no big deal. I figured out what it was early on and treated it ever since. Jen lost confidence after 5 weeks, and ordered us to the doc. He said my diagnosis and treatment were correct. I've been bitten by so many things, including yellow sac spiders, that I am generally good with that stuff.

Today the boy found a smallish wolf spider at Riverbend Park, and just had to show me. He holds no grudge against the Arachnids, nor do I.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Speleology Forum