Keeping Wasps/ dirt dobbers out of my Bat House??

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Keeping Wasps/ dirt dobbers out of my Bat House??

Postby JoeyS » Aug 15, 2006 7:56 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my bathouse free from wasps and such? I shined a light up in there tonight and one cavity has a wasp nest, and another a dirt dobber nest in it. Obviously, wasp/hornet spray is not the solution. Anyone have any insite?
Thanks,
Joey
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Keeping Wasps/ dirt dobbers out of my Bat House??

Postby cob » Aug 15, 2006 8:10 pm

JoeyS wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my bathouse free from wasps and such?

Uhhh... Lighter fluid?

On the serious side, I don't think there is much you can do about it, tho I don't think the bats will care much (they eat bugs)(come to think of it, they might like it even better that way, "Hey marge, you wanta midday snack?")

However, if the wasps are bothering you... Uhhh, lighter fluid?

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 15, 2006 8:22 pm

Well I wasn't sure if a bat could take on a wasp, I know my dogs don't like them... I'm just trying to figure out how to make the house more hospitable... but yes, I do realize that bats eat bugs. I just figured the would rather eat/ share habitat with the ones that don't have such a venemous defense mechanism.
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Aug 16, 2006 12:23 am

Joey,

Think of it this way. The bats don't eat the wasps and the wasps provide some bit of protection to the bat roost. It seems to work for both of them without a problem unless one or the other is at such high numbers that there isn't enough space for both.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Aug 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Hey Joey,

This stuff might do the trick. The company does claim the product repels wasps... http://www.bugrepel.com/

According to the ad, your bats might even live a longer, happier life, enjoy the outdoors more AND smell better while doing it. Of course, if they get it on themselves those nightly forages might get a little tougher! If it doesn't work, I guess there's always the lighter fluid!

Seriously though, I suspect Keith is right. They probably get along just fine. I imagine they share habitats in barns, belfry's, under bridges etc.

I'm curious, are any bats currently using the box?

BL
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 17, 2006 8:22 am

bug repellent and lighter, lighter fluid and wasp spray is likely to soak in to the wood (cedar I assume if it is like mine), and wind up killing wasps, and repelling the bats you are trying to attract.

Dont know what to tell you though. My bat house wound up being home to hundreds of mud daubers, but not one single bat. I finally gave up... there are bats in my neighborhood, but they must have somewhere more comfortable to roost.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby JoeyS » Aug 17, 2006 9:47 am

Grandpa Caver wrote:Hey Joey,

I'm curious, are any bats currently using the box?

BL

Apparently not, but like Graveleye, I've got them in my neighborhood, just not in the bathouse. They could be living in my attic though. I've got the bathouse fixed near the top of my chimney, which is probably 15 feet above ground. That's the highest place I can find without using a pole.
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Aug 17, 2006 9:34 pm

Joey,

Ya might be interested in the 3rd-5th FAQ's offered here...

http://batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=91&idSubPage=20

or this...

http://www.batconservation.org/content/ ... oputup.htm

Nothing about wasps or muddaubers there but some good info.

Since you have no bats in the box you might try what I do at home, under the eaves. Confuse 'em with a little smoke (if ya can), rip out the nest with a stout stick and run like hell!
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Mike Rz » Aug 21, 2006 8:24 pm

Those mud tubes are the egg holders for a stingless wasp. The wasps pack 'em full of wasp eggs and paralyzed spiders. Guess whats for dinner next spring!

Mike
Mike
Mike Rz
Infrequent Poster

Return to Speleology Forum