Preferential Flowpaths & The Origin of Limestones Caves

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: On mechanical flow paths

Postby Teresa » May 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Pat Kambesis wrote:And finally, on availability of reference material for any kind of scientific research and/or discussion - though the internet is certainly a great resource for finding such material, if one is serious about this kind of thing then one most also consider using library search systems too. There is still a lot of literature out there that is not available in the internet
but that is critical for understanding what topic is being pursued.

pk

I agree entirely. Some day I hope to live somewhere where decent libraries exist without a 70 mile drive on my part. There is no city or county library here. The regional library claims to have 'interlibrary loan' but this is only a loan between branches and apparently does not have any connection beyond its own system. Even after furnishing LOC numbers, ISBN numbers and so forth in addition to author and title, I've never been able to get either originals or xeroxes of technical books or articles--and the local librarian is convinced geology is a branch of geneaology, which may be part of the problem.

The article is on my to-do list for the next trip to the nearest big city with a geo department.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amemeba » May 30, 2006 2:48 pm

Teresa wrote:
Pat Kambesis wrote:And finally, on availability of reference material for any kind of scientific research and/or discussion - though the internet is certainly a great resource for finding such material, if one is serious about this kind of thing then one most also consider using library search systems too. There is still a lot of literature out there that is not available in the internet
but that is critical for understanding what topic is being pursued.

pk

I agree entirely. Some day I hope to live somewhere where decent libraries exist without a 70 mile drive on my part. There is no city or county library here. The regional library claims to have 'interlibrary loan' but this is only a loan between branches and apparently does not have any connection beyond its own system. Even after furnishing LOC numbers, ISBN numbers and so forth in addition to author and title, I've never been able to get either originals or xeroxes of technical books or articles--and the local librarian is convinced geology is a branch of geneaology, which may be part of the problem.

The article is on my to-do list for the next trip to the nearest big city with a geo department.

Really now, ladies.

Do you really think that some arcane but pertinent fact concerning the intra-permeability of limestone rock lies hidden away within the dusty tomes of libraries and the Internet?

Think a bit...if the value of the information is obscure and hasn't been put into a lucid form for general understanding, then likely the information itself is irredeemably obscure and so no amount of fast footed scientific jargon can coach it into a functional context.

Better that you tell us about what you've seen in caves and what it is that you think you saw.

Much of textbook science concerning geology is better left unread.
Remember geosynclines and high mountains?

No? Well, you would if you had once been a hippy.
Amemeba
Frequent Poster

Postby hydrology_joe » Jun 2, 2006 4:02 pm

Pat Kambesis wrote:On the reference to mixing water corrosion - is the point that this type of dissolution does not require a flowpath in order to form cave or perhaps that the flowpath is not mechanical in nature?

Mixing water corrosion (and all karstification) requires flow, but the flowpath need not be mechanical in nature.

Pat Kambesis wrote:If one considers all karst types, there are five elements that they all have in common in terms of their "karstification". One of those elements is
Porosity/permeability/fractures. The development of a mass transport system within any kind of rock requires a means for fluids to pass through the rock. This is accomplished by the existence of discontinuities in the inter- and intra- rock fabric. These include porosity, the pore spaces within the rock; permeability which is the connectivity of pore spaces and fractures (which include faults, bedding planes and other structural discontinuities.)

Perhaps this is what is meant by other flow paths?

:exactly: (bold added for emphasis)
What part of "Shall not be infringed" don't you understand?
hydrology_joe
Frequent Poster

Postby Spike » Jun 3, 2006 9:41 am

Isn't boneyard passage suppossed to be formed from flow though high pearmeablity zones?

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Speleology Forum