What causes sinkholes?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

What causes sinkholes?

Postby ohiocaver » Aug 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Below is a video that I found interesting — it concerns the much larger number of sinkholes we've had over the past 10 years and one theory as to what causes them and why the number is increasing. It takes 13 minutes to play — so open it when you have a bit of time. In a way, this theory seems far-fetched. In another way, it makes a sort of sense.
Even if you're not into the new geology theory presented here, the photography is stunning and shocking:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/TLUgEXI9RYI?rel=0
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Re: What causes sinkholes?

Postby captnemo » Aug 30, 2016 12:19 am

Uh did I miss something is April first on a different day this year? Sorry but this video is ridiculous to the extreme. they have compiled pictures and video from all sorts of completely unrelated events and present them as proof of some mysterious electricity phenomena?
Firstly are sinkholes a new occurrence? What evidence is there of these increases in the last 10 years?
Secondly The majority of the clips clearly show erosion as the primary cause. The one in Louisiana was when miners undercut a lake when digging salt from a dome and and an exploratory well entered the mine, so not only erosion but man made. The one in L.A was clearly documented as a water main break etc. most of the others have been documented in the news and a simple google search will show you the causes, so why do they want to show this new 'theory'? Oh yes they have a book to sell so there you go. :funny post:
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 30, 2016 7:49 am

ohiocaver wrote:In a way, this theory seems far-fetched. In another way, it makes a sort of sense. Even if you're not into the new geology theory presented here, the photography is stunning and shocking:

The "new geology theory?!" This is neither "geology" or "theory," couldn't stand up to the feeblest scientific scrutiny, or even the common sense test. Or the smell test.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Aug 30, 2016 11:23 am

SInkholes are caused by woo.
If you are not familiar, check out http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Who knew woo? Not me, but now it do. It is.

captnemo wrote:Uh did I miss something is April first on a different day this year? Sorry but this video is ridiculous to the extreme. they have compiled pictures and video from all sorts of completely unrelated events and present them as proof of some mysterious electricity phenomena?
Firstly are sinkholes a new occurrence? What evidence is there of these increases in the last 10 years?
Secondly The majority of the clips clearly show erosion as the primary cause. The one in Louisiana was when miners undercut a lake when digging salt from a dome and and an exploratory well entered the mine, so not only erosion but man made. The one in L.A was clearly documented as a water main break etc. most of the others have been documented in the news and a simple google search will show you the causes, so why do they want to show this new 'theory'? Oh yes they have a book to sell so there you go. :funny post:

No lie. One of the shots was of a bridge/culvert that was undercut by a flood.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to Speleology Forum