What bones or animal tracks have you found?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

What bones or animal tracks have you found?

Postby BrianFrank » Apr 12, 2016 6:46 pm

So, I was recently reading a National Park Service bulletin and came across this. Byers Cave had a shark!:

Lookout Mountain Cave and Mystery Falls Cave in the park contain Pleistocene vertebrate remains that are now in unknown collections. Closure of these caves as part of the development of the highway and railroad along the Tennessee River now precludes the excavation of any other fossil resources in the caves. Byers Cave in Dade County, Georgia contained the remains of a cladoselachian shark. Other park caves have the potential for Pleistocene fossil resources including Kitty City Cave, and 27 Spider Cave. Kitty City Cave has casts of prehistoric big cat paw prints and claw marks. 27 Spider Cave contains a large cat skull and vertebral column. Excavators found buffalo and mastodon remains elsewhere in Tennessee caves.

This leads me to the question. What bones or animal tracks have you found in a cave? Tell us about it.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: What bones or animal tracks have you found?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Raccoon, possum, dog, cat, cow, horse, deer, rat, bat, snake, turtle, fish, human... all the regulars. Nothing prehistoric, that I know of.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum