Paleoclimotology

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Paleoclimotology

Postby activeshooter » Oct 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Just curious, I know that there has been studies
What has been the outcome of the studies of speleothems regarding climate change whether it be man made or not?
activeshooter
Frequent Poster

Name: greg herin

Re: Paleoclimotology

Postby struebe » Oct 16, 2015 1:13 am

Paleoclimate studies from speleothems that have high enough resolution to show recent changes in climate show the recent rise in global temperature. Not all speleothems record temperature, however, so some show changes in other variables like rainfall.

In general, from paleoclimate studies and modern climate studies, we know that climate change is happening, and it is assuredly man-made. It is going to be really bad for a lot of people, plants, and animals, and the oceans in general. It's not too late to change behavior, but it will take a lot of folks changing individually as well as governments agreeing to shift away from fossil fuels.
struebe
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 61563
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Arizona Regional Association

Postby alfred1 » Nov 6, 2015 9:52 am

Isotopes in Palaeoenvironmental Research (Developments in Paleoenvironmental Research)

This book has a chapter about isotopes and speleothems, you may find it in a library and have a look if it's useful.
alfred1
Occasional Poster

Postby activeshooter » Nov 7, 2015 1:56 am

Any references or data from these studies? I would love to check this out , are you familiar with any of the studies or authors of academic papers on the subject ? I'm not really interested in the politics, just the findings of the studies.
activeshooter
Frequent Poster

Postby activeshooter » Nov 8, 2015 10:00 pm

Wow are you a psychic ?
How did you answer before my question

Thanks for the reference will check it out? Any where that I can read it online? Seems kinda obscure, Topeka public library might not have it. Might check out the university library also.

Eta looks like good reading to understand process. Kinda spendy to settle my personal curiosity.
Hope it's in a library near by.
activeshooter
Frequent Poster

Postby alfred1 » Nov 9, 2015 12:07 pm

activeshooter wrote:Wow are you a psychic ?
How did you answer before my question

Thanks for the reference will check it out? Any where that I can read it online? Seems kinda obscure, Topeka public library might not have it. Might check out the university library also.

Eta looks like good reading to understand process. Kinda spendy to settle my personal curiosity.
Hope it's in a library near by.

Lol no special powers (yet) :laughing: it's just that as a new user my answer was "on hold" (awaiting mod approval) since a few days.
Unfortunately I don't think it's available online.
alfred1
Occasional Poster

Return to Speleology Forum