This is one weird cave that you need to read about

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

This is one weird cave that you need to read about

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 4, 2015 3:04 pm

Received this article from Ann Bosted, whose living on the Big Island of Hawaii these days.
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150904 ... oison-cave

Some fantastic pictures of the creatures that are found in this cave and info about them. Quite an article that even tops some of what Hollywood puts out, but these are for real. :yikes:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: This is one weird cave that you need to read about

Postby msharitt » Sep 4, 2015 3:21 pm

That's quite an interesting article. It's amazing what lies underneath. I can honestly say after reading that it doesn't put it on my "to do" list. Those waterscorpions are something else.
Michael Sharitt
msharitt
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Sharitt
NSS #: 64713

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 4, 2015 5:03 pm

I read you loud and clear, Michael. "No way, Jose!" as they say in California.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby captnemo » Sep 8, 2015 2:09 pm

There's a good video on that cave I picked up at convention and showed at grotto meetings a couple of times
http://www.amazon.com/Ends-Earth-Secret-Abyss-Movile/dp/6305770360
It certainly is on my list of caves I'd like to see but since access is restricted not likely.
p.s.
msharitt wrote:Those waterscorpions are something else.
Used to play with water scorpions as a kid, they're not really scorpions, I believe they're related to stick insects, hurts a bit if they bite you but nothing too serious
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby msharitt » Sep 8, 2015 2:30 pm

That's odd captnemo, They almost look like something out of a horror film where if they touch you, you'd have minutes to get medical attention. Of course I feel that way about a lot of stuff I've never seen.

It says 33 species are not found anywhere else. Are there other caves with a similar environment that would sustain such life?
Michael Sharitt
msharitt
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Sharitt
NSS #: 64713

Postby captnemo » Sep 8, 2015 3:47 pm

msharitt wrote:It says 33 species are not found anywhere else. Are there other caves with a similar environment that would sustain such life?

Yes, life that uses chemo-synthesis instead of sunlight exists in several environments, the first I read of it was the hydro vents at great depths under the sea.
here's an article about a cave in Mexicohttp://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0105/feature4/
I think what makes Movile so unique is the fact that it's sealed off from the surface by the clay layer so the life there has developed without interference from the surface.
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Return to Speleology Forum