Underground coal fire?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Underground coal fire?

Postby Sean Ryan » May 10, 2006 10:08 am

A question came up at my last grotto meeting that no one had an answer to. Every once in a while coal catches fire underground. There's been one burning under Centralia, PA, for the past couple decades. The recent movie Silent Hill involved a similar underground coal fire (only vapors from the coal wafted up and killed half the town).

Once a coal fire burns out, will there be a cave? Any passages people would be able to explore?
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Underground coal fire?

Postby erebus » May 10, 2006 10:25 am

Sean Ryan wrote:Once a coal fire burns out, will there be a cave? Any passages people would be able to explore?

There will be a mine, which is where these fires (always?) start. After the coal burns away, the mine will probably be even less stable than it was before the fire. Sounds like a good hole to stay out of.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby George Dasher » May 10, 2006 11:57 am

No cave is left...

Or at least nothing that is big enough for someone to get into.

The overburden can go down, the underlying clays up, and there is ash often left over from the coal burning.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby George Dasher » May 10, 2006 11:58 am

A seam without a mine can burn, as long as the oxygen can get through.

They're a real problem to get extinguished.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Barry14319 » May 10, 2006 12:15 pm

About the only thing that would be left is a highly unstable roof that CAN and WILL collapse and NO oxygen to breath!!!!!!!
If you want to commit suicide this would be a place to succeed!!!!!!!!
Best advice is STAY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
barry
Barry14319
Infrequent Poster

Postby Sean Ryan » May 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Don't worry; this is just hypothetical. Besides, the only place I know of this happening is Centralia, and there's no signs that puppy's getting extinguished any time soon.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Underground coal fire?

Postby Marlatt » May 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:A question came up at my last grotto meeting that no one had an answer to. Every once in a while coal catches fire underground. There's been one burning under Centralia, PA, for the past couple decades. The recent movie Silent Hill involved a similar underground coal fire (only vapors from the coal wafted up and killed half the town).

Once a coal fire burns out, will there be a cave? Any passages people would be able to explore?

Interesting thought - is this an overlooked avenue for non-limestone speleogenesis? Consider the scenario of a deep coal seam under some relatively stable overburden. Seam catches fire somehow (mine accident, lightning strike, lava intrusion, whatever) and burns for a long time. Eventually, the fires go out and what had been a coal seam is now filled with ash, clays, etc. Add water to flush out the residuals and, viola, cave!
Psalms 95.4 / Proverbs 25.2
Marlatt
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 19583
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado

Postby bigalpha » May 10, 2006 12:52 pm

If ya think about it, it's amazing that we can launch rockets into space, but can't put out an underground coal fire. Would it not be possible to flood the mines or something?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » May 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Most coal forms in really rotten rock. Occasionally not, but shales and clays and thin nearshore limestones don't make good caves. I cannot speak to the metamorphosed Pennsylvania strata, but if mines weren't in unstable rock, they wouldn't need the shoring they do--as compared to underground limestone mines or hardrock mines.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum