Artesian Spring - Smoke Hole, WV

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Artesian Spring - Smoke Hole, WV

Postby submassabielle » Nov 1, 2014 3:03 pm

I toured Smoke Hole Caverns, WV, several weeks ago and am curious about their artesian spring coming from a stalagmite. Can anyone confirm if this formation is natural, or did they drill into an existing stalagmite to reach an aquifer? The guide suggested that it was natural; but I have to admit that I have a hard time trusting the tour-spiel at privately owned caves (especially ones that stock a cave pool with trout). Also the cave was in a very interesting twisted formation (Tonoloway, I think). The guide suggested that the cave formed before the layers were rotated. This also seems suspect to me. Could a cave even survive those kinds of forces? I am guessing that what was meant was that the layers were rotated before the cave formed; but that is not how it was stated.
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Re: Artesian Spring - Smoke Hole, WV

Postby driggs » Nov 4, 2014 1:58 pm

I had an enjoyable time touring Smoke Hole Caverns after deciding to pretend that their tour was secretly a comedy act for those "in the know".

They are, of course, one of just two caves worldwide where you can find cave coral, the other being in New Zealand. And don't forget that Smoke Hole is home to the world's longest ribbon stalactite. Also, second-tallest cave room in the country (just barely edged out by Mammoth Cave). The guide even showed us a "bat's nest" just inside the entrance!

:rofl:

With all that said, I'll point out that Smoke Hole Caverns is a beautiful cave, and the tour is well worth admission even if you keep your fingers in your ears.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Bumbalawski » Nov 5, 2014 9:02 am

Coral Caverns in Manns Choice Pennsylvania also has cave coral. It is a commercial cave.
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby peter febb » Nov 16, 2014 5:11 pm

I stuck my fingers into the hole that the water was spouting from and it was a precisely drilled hole with a sharp edge. The garden hose feeding it can be seen parallel to the walking path just as you enter the cave.
But wait, there's more.
I took a small sample of the water home and titrated it for calcium...nada.
Sorry Smokehole.
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Name: Peter Febbroriello
NSS #: 20246
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG

Postby Bob Thrun » Nov 17, 2014 1:52 pm

The artesian stalagmite is located on a hollow flowstone crust. There is a pump beneath it.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Nov 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Next thing you guys will do is question the authenticity of Santa Claus...and I definitely KNOW he exists since he brought me a new harness just a couple of years ago. :tonguecheek:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Return to Speleology Forum