coralloid or ???

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

coralloid or ???

Postby bigredfoote » Aug 20, 2013 12:54 am

I was told a few years ago in another cave that this type of formation were "aragonite anthodites". When I look up anthodites they are hollow quills. Though these formations could develop into a set of quills someday, they seem to usually be singular. The formation I am looking for a name for are always more macrocrystalline and do not appear to have ever been hollow (so not really helictites). This is a cross between popcorn and helictites, but with little/no water, and not quite either formation. Thanks for any confirmation on "corraloid" or other name.

Jen.
Last edited by bigredfoote on Aug 20, 2013 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigredfoote
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 45211
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pajarito

Re: coralloid or ???

Postby bigredfoote » Aug 20, 2013 12:55 am

bigredfoote
Frequent Poster

Postby baa43003 » Aug 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Jen, since coralloid is a "catch-all term describing a variety of nodular, globular, botryoidal, or coral-like speleothems," you probably can't go wrong with calling that a coralloid. Now which morphological variety it is is another question. Knobstone? Globularite? Clusterite?

Are there more like it?

Bonny
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby bigredfoote » Aug 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Lots of them, this area even had some with multiple arms. Some seem more crystal-like, some more popcorn like. Some of these even had frostwork on the ends.

I think I'll call them coralloids from now on, just not sure whether it goes under calcite, gypsum, or aragonite in places where they catergorize inventory like that.
bigredfoote
Frequent Poster

Return to Speleology Forum