Giant splattermites from China

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Giant splattermites from China

Postby Dave Bunnell » Apr 12, 2006 11:53 pm

Here's another bizarre speleothem from China. I was characterizing these as basically huge splattermites. Yet these things often form in tall chambers, and this particular room is maybe 30 feet high. Anyone have thoughts on the formation of this?

This second photo shows a huge flowstone with something that might be similar and for which I can also see no ready explanation.

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 13, 2006 7:08 am

Dave,

The precise term escapes me for the moment, but these look similar to formations that formed and then were re-dissolved over time by changing conditions in the cave's environment. Different water flow, acidity, etc.

Dissolution, maybe?
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Dave Bunnell » Apr 16, 2006 6:21 pm

Phil,

I think dissolution is indeed the term for what you're suggesting, and I have seen some strange forms produced by that. Typically I think of it producing forms like that seen on the top image of this page from the Virtual cave:
http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/virtcave/stalmite/stalmite.html

But I'm not sure I see how that could produce these sorts of protruding shelves seen on the flowstone.

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Return to Speleology Forum