Sources for geologic education?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Sources for geologic education?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Would someone care to direct me to a good resource for basic cave geology info? The websites and books I have found are either extremely simplistic, "acidic water makes holes in soft rocks,"
or a bit more complex than I am equipped to appreciate; "Karst aquifers are heterogeneous media where conduits usually drain water from lower yiddish permeability volumes (matrix and tea leaves). Pressure transfer and water exchange between matrix and rubiks conduit during flooding could influence porcine corpuscular polyputhekettleon recession curves," and so on...

So. I am interested in cave types and features, not so much theoretical speleogenesis. I want to be able to accurately describe the types of passages and speleothems I see with some basic knowledge of their formation. Any ideas?
Whatever its content I am sadly unable to afford the new book "Cave Geology." So it goes.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Sources for geologic education?

Postby NZcaver » Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm

I suggest saving up and buying the right book. It covers the full range, and is worth the money. Birthday wish list, perhaps?

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 12, 2011 10:34 pm

I am encouraged by the NSS bookstore price. I saw it for sale somewhere for $70something and feared that was the going rate. It's a sad day when a man cannot afford $40 on a book about holes in rocks...I'll probably buy it.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jul 14, 2011 9:09 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:Would someone care to direct me to a good resource for basic cave geology info?
:waving: I can help ya there too! Check your pm's. :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Art Palmer's class....I want to take that next year. Heard nothing but good things, and field education is the best for me, I learn way better hands on than from a book.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Jul 17, 2011 8:31 pm

No disrespect to Art intended, but nearly every grotto has a caver or two with a geology degree. Become their friend.
Geo trips happen, put on by state geological surveys, professional geo groups, at caving events...attend these.
Follow the experts around and most will explain the karst to you.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum