The terms resurgence & exsurgence

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

The terms resurgence & exsurgence

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 11, 2011 11:30 am

The only definition of exsurgence I have found is, "a spring whose only source is percolating groundwater." This leads me to understand that water flowing from a cave with no observable insergence could be labeled an exsurgence? And that a resergence implies that the cave takes on a surface stream or significant surface drainage at its entrance or sink? If I'm all backward let me know. If not, why isn't the term exsurgence more commonly used? It seems that every instance of water flow at a cave exit is referred to as a resurgence.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: The terms resurgence & exsurgence

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 11, 2011 11:38 am

Methinks you're trying to apply too much logic. I think it's just a fashion/jargon issue.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 11, 2011 11:47 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:Methinks you're trying to apply too much logic. I think it's just a fashion/jargon issue.

Perhas so, but I'm very fond of logic. Why shouldn't jargon be accurate?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote: This leads me to understand that water flowing from a cave with no observable insergence could be labeled an exsurgence? And that a resergence implies that the cave takes on a surface stream or significant surface drainage at its entrance or sink?

You've got it right, though technically a resurgence ought to be proveable as substantially the same stream as its insurgence. Most cavers just use 'resurgence' because cave water sources can be complicated.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Return to Speleology Forum