Research Projects

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Research Projects

Postby hardcorecaver » Oct 3, 2010 10:30 pm

So I am starting my undergraduate Research project at my college. I am want to work in Gypsum Karst around the Carlsbad area. Do any one have any thoughts or considerations for me? I am just trying to get ideas.
Life good when you carbide caving.
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Re: Research Projects

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 4, 2010 7:42 am

the first consideration is that WNS has been shutting down non WNS research in some areas and you probably want to have some long talks with the local land management agencies to see what their contingency plans are. This also means that costs for your project may be higher to accomadate chemicals and supplies for repeated decon or replacement of gear.

As to subject matter, The only gypsum karst I have been in was "parks ranch cave" (I think) near carlesbad for a NCRC weeklong. Had about 5 thousand entrances :) It seemed like it was essentially a cow pee sewer in lots of places. If that is indeed true, then contrasting the flora/fauna of a site with err high organic inputs vs some other site without them might be interesting.

I also got the impression that that cave saw lots of traffic. trying to asses recreational impacts for gypsum substrates might be useful, if not very interesting from a research side.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Oct 4, 2010 8:41 am

wyandottecaver wrote:
I also got the impression that that cave saw lots of traffic. trying to asses recreational impacts for gypsum substrates might be useful, if not very interesting from a research side.

Bo Shelby made a career out of his post-graduate research and publications on the "recreational carrying capacity" of rivers. Maybe you could do the same for caves.
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 4, 2010 6:13 pm

I was thinking Parks Ranch as well. I believe it* only* has 18 ents. But I think it would be a fantastic place to study both air and water flow directions. They're not always static. If I had nothing (like earning a living) to occupy me, that is what I'd do for fun.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Oct 4, 2010 11:44 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:The only gypsum karst I have been in was "parks ranch cave" (I think) near carlesbad for a NCRC weeklong. Had about 5 thousand entrances :) It seemed like it was essentially a cow pee sewer in lots of places.

Damn, that brings back memories! Quite an aroma. Plus we were on alert to pull out at the first sign of heavy rain because the clouds were menacing and that cave floods fast! So you were there in '03 as well? I was a level 2 student back then - comms team leader (how unusual for me), and I think later I switched to an evac team.

FYI folks, Lucas orchestrated the big cleanup in Parks Ranch Cave several years ago for his Eagle Scout project.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Speleology Forum