Karst Clinic TAG Fall Cave in 2010

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Karst Clinic TAG Fall Cave in 2010

Postby Batgirl » Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I am putting together a Karst Clinic for the 2010 TAG Fall Cave in and I am looking for several people who might be interested in giving a presentation on the following topics:

Cave Biology
Cave Geology
Archeology/Palentology
Cave Hydrology
Cave Survey Techniques

The sessions will be between 30 and 45 minutes on Saturday morning. I am also looking for opportunities to extend these sessions to field trips. This is a good opportunity to share your knowledge and experience with 1200 cavers from across the country. If you are interested, please email me at lbuffkin@gmail.com.

Thanks All,
Lynn Buffkin
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Re: Karst Clinic TAG Fall Cave in 2010

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Wait, I'm sorry, 1200 people? Holyshit...sorry I know this is totally off topic but I had no clue the cavein was that huge. The most cavers I've seen in one place were about 20.
I...I think I'm scared now. I'm so glad I'm going with a friend I know...I mean...I get along with people well but I hate crowds and tend to cower in corners in them. *hides in a dark corner of a cave*
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Sep 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Amy, you'll love it. Cavers at TAG are among the friendliest people under the earth and on top of it.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Batgirl » Sep 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Last year, I think the total number was somewhere around 1080. It varies from year to year. When the Cave-In was at Seqoyah, the numbers were even higher. I was told that at its peak, there were 1500 or 1600 people in attendance. The cave-in is the biggest party in the country with the biggest fire on the planet. This year, the fire is 20ft tall by 20ft at the base.

Unfortunately, I have had to cancel the Karst Clinic. Not enough people were willing to participate. I will try again another time.
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Mudduck » Sep 28, 2010 9:39 am

Sungura wrote:Wait, I'm sorry, 1200 people? Holyshit...sorry I know this is totally off topic but I had no clue the cavein was that huge. The most cavers I've seen in one place were about 20.
I...I think I'm scared now. I'm so glad I'm going with a friend I know...I mean...I get along with people well but I hate crowds and tend to cower in corners in them. *hides in a dark corner of a cave*

Your not alone in this sentiment. I in same boat. But gonna give it a try.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby Mudduck » Sep 28, 2010 9:41 am

Batgirl wrote:Unfortunately, I have had to cancel the Karst Clinic. Not enough people were willing to participate. I will try again another time.

Thats a major shame. I was seriously looking forward to that. :sad:
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Return to Speleology Forum