Career in cave mapping

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Career in cave mapping

Postby hardcorecaver » Feb 13, 2006 2:07 am

i am doing a reascearch on careers i would like more info on cavemapping and computer drawing
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Re: Career in cave mapping

Postby cob » Feb 13, 2006 7:39 pm

hardcorecaver wrote:i am doing a reascearch on careers i would like more info on cavemapping and computer drawing

It ain't a career... it's an illness.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Feb 13, 2006 11:14 pm

Suggest you look up "Surveyor" in the Handbook of Occupational Titles at the library. At least one caver I know got hooked on cave mapping, and is now a professional land surveyor.

A good CAD drafting background, or the ability to do this sort of work, even if not the primary job title, is a plus for employability, too. Much that you learn in computer graphics comes in mighty handy in cave mapping and vice versa.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patricia Bingham » Feb 15, 2006 6:19 am

Teresa is right. I just got hired by a civil engineering firm/land planning company. I have no experience in what they actually do (my limited experience is more in the line of geotech work), but they needed someone who could "see 3-D" and surveying caves certainly helps out with that. I'm now learning how to work with AutoCad (actually SurvCad) and learning how to make grading plans for sub-developments.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Return to Speleology Forum