Hypothetical

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Hypothetical

Postby rlboyce » May 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Okay, let's say there is an anticlinal mountain that runs from southwest to northeast (↙↗). If there was a cave to the west of the anticline axis that had a few passages that ran from northwest to southeast (↖↘), would you expect these passages to generally dip with the rock (the further you went northwest, the deeper the cave would get)?
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: Hypothetical

Postby l lambert » May 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Not really enough info but dip and strike can be significant players in passage trend......generally. Are you in a thick layer of suitable limestone or are you maxed out vertically (more or less) between confining layers. If you have less vertical potential the cave might tend to plunge with dip. Let me edit to add that in the massive formation the trend may be harder to see imho. One more thing. I'm not a professional but a rank amateur. :tonguecheek: Leo
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Re: Hypothetical

Postby rlboyce » May 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, "hypothetically" the cave would be in the Tonoloway formation (400-600 feet), but could possibly be in the adjacent Helderberg formation (Keyser member, 200-300 feet) also/instead. Both the Tonoloway and Keyser are mostly limestone.

What I think I'm getting from you though is that there could certainly be other factors that would induce the deepening of passages besides the dip of the rock. I suppose that's what I knew all along, but just wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Return to Speleology Forum