Black Hills Caver Classic

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Black Hills Caver Classic

Postby CaverStretch » Jan 17, 2006 8:15 pm

Greetings and Salutations!

Looking for any information on the Black Hills Caver Classic in South Dakota 2006.

Anyone heard any details or know where I can get some more information?

Thanks

CaverStretch
:bat sticker:
CaverStretch
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 17, 2006 8:51 pm

http://www.caves.org/grotto/psg/ will get you the Paha Sapa grotto. Or you can check in the member's manual for John Scheltens' phone number and give him a call. Tell him Doc Kennedy says "HI" since I haven't seen him in a couple years (I did my residency training in family medicine in Rapid City and went to four Caver's Classics while I was there). Good time!
Doc
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby CaverStretch » Jan 19, 2006 10:47 pm

I tired to call John but no one was home and got no return phone call. Anyone else out ther have any info or heard any news about it?

I will keep trying to call and email him. Don't want to miss the classic this year.

Robert
"That he's mad, 'tis true, 'tis true 'tis pity,
And pity 'tis 'tis true."
NSS 39585
CaverStretch
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 19, 2006 11:05 pm

The Caver's Classic is typically over the 4th of July holiday so you have a bit of time yet. It's held at Cavern Wells, John's place south of Hot Springs. Price is nominal and the T-shirts are pretty cool! There are led trips in Jewel and Wind caves and a guidebook that will help you safely negotiate some of the smaller local caves.
Doc
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby CaverStretch » Jan 19, 2006 11:12 pm

Hello Again,
The last time we went it was held over Memorial Weekend. I'd heard a rumor that they moved it to the July 4th weekend. I think the last classic that we went too was in 1995, so it's been a while. There is a group of us from Utah that want to try and visit Rod Horrocks out in SD. And of course do some fun caving in Wind and Jewel.

Robert
"That he's mad, 'tis true, 'tis true 'tis pity,
And pity 'tis 'tis true."
NSS 39585
CaverStretch
Infrequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Apr 9, 2006 6:22 pm

Just so that people know that there is not a Rocky Mountain Cavers Classic going on at Jon S. place at Hot Springs, S.D.(Cavern Wells) this year. I just talk to Jon and Pat, well basically they did know anything about it. So please don't call them

Rocky mountain Reg. is some where else.

Evan Gehring
NSS#26865
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 9, 2006 6:56 pm

The Black Hills Caver Classic is almost always held over the July 4th weekend now, except when it conflicts with the NSS Convention (like last year). Maybe someone knows details about this years.

The Rocky Mountain Regional location is still not decided but it is scheduled over Labor Day Weekend. I'm sure when that information is confirmed, it will be posted here.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Evan G » Apr 9, 2006 9:22 pm

As long as it is not at Cavern Wells, because I would the John and Pat would be rather surprised if a bunch of cavers showed up unannounced.

Evan Gehring
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Return to Caver Events