TAG Fall Cave In 2009

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

TAG Fall Cave In 2009

Postby Spark85 » Jun 29, 2009 9:28 pm

I am planning on attending my first Cave In this year. Is there anything special I need to know or bring? Also I am interested in trying some hang gliding on Lookout Mountain. Does anybody have any advice on that? Thanks in advance.
Spark85
Infrequent Poster

Name: Todd McCartney
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Re: TAG Fall Cave In

Postby graveleye » Jun 30, 2009 7:54 am

What to bring depends on what you want out of it. The Cave-In is pretty much like other caving events in that there are activities, caving, camping, fellowship, partying etc. All your vendors will be there selling their stuff too, so it helps to bring some money too.
I've seen the hang-gliding park over near the college in the clouds, but I don't know anything else about it. I bet a google search would turn something up.
Many folks go and never enter a cave, but some seem to be gone caving the whole time and miss everything.
Pre-registration is open, so if you want to save a few bucks you can download the form of the website and pre-register now.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby E-brake » Aug 11, 2009 1:12 pm

When is TAG this year? This will be my first time attending as well.

Any registration details would be great too :banana:
E-brake
Infrequent Poster

Re: TAG Fall Cave In 2009

Postby CaverScott » Aug 11, 2009 3:56 pm

http://tagfallcavein.org/hosting/dcg/cavein/homex.html

This will answer most questions.

If you think you will not arrive during regular hours, pre-register!
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby CaverScott » Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I did the Hang Gliding (Tandem) thing for my 40th Birthday (or thereabouts) and had a blast. I recommend it!

http://www.hanglide.com/news/?page_id=3
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby ljthawk » Aug 23, 2009 5:35 pm

E-brake wrote:When is TAG this year? This will be my first time attending as well.

Any registration details would be great too :banana:

Sorry, I can't resist. "TAG" is a geographic location / area; "Cave In" is a caving event held every fall in TAG.

Also, while you can register at the event, pre registration is a little cheaper. Pre registration closes September 1, so if you plan on going and haven't registered yet, there's about a week left. The above referenced sight should have the registration forms and mailing directions.

Shold be a good time.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

ljthawk wrote:Sorry, I can't resist. "TAG" is a geographic location / area; "Cave In" is a caving event held every fall in TAG.

Not to start trouble here, but it seems that the cavers who live in TAG refer to the cave in as "TAG." I can't even count how many times I've been asked if I'm "coming to TAG this year," and they mean the cave-in. It was a bit disconcerting the first time I heard it, as I concur with you -- to me, TAG is the place, not the event -- but this is very common usage amongst TAG cavers and as such would be hard to really criticize.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby ljthawk » Aug 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:
ljthawk wrote:Sorry, I can't resist. "TAG" is a geographic location / area; "Cave In" is a caving event held every fall in TAG.

Not to start trouble here, but it seems that the cavers who live in TAG refer to the cave in as "TAG." I can't even count how many times I've been asked if I'm "coming to TAG this year," and they mean the cave-in. It was a bit disconcerting the first time I heard it, as I concur with you -- to me, TAG is the place, not the event -- but this is very common usage amongst TAG cavers and as such would be hard to really criticize.

When I first started caving I too referred to it as "TAG", but I have found that those who have been involved in the TAG (area) caving community for a long time, especially those involved with the event, will refer to it as "The Cave IN" (short for TAG Fall Cave IN). I don't know how many times I was corrected.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 23, 2009 8:03 pm

One nation, separated by a common language... :doh: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby graveleye » Aug 24, 2009 9:34 am

It's technically called the "TAG Fall Cave-in" if we want to get to splitting hairs. I just call it TAG... who cares really... we all know what we're talking about.

Just a reminder that the last day of pre-registration is September 1st. I think they are getting ready to build the bonfire in the next couple of weeks:)
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Aug 24, 2009 10:34 am

Scott posted the website for the "Cave-In" . . . it has all the infomation needed but I just thought I'd add a couple of notes here.

I've been involved with the Cave-In for the last 12 years as either a volunteer or staff member. I'm one of those who hates to hear the event referred to as "TAG". TAG is the area . . . the event is a unique entity . . . the "Cave-In" :banana: (Just my pet peeve and supported by many of the long time members of DCG who have been involved with the event for many more years than I).

The TAG Fall Cave-In is always held the weekend before Columbus Day. (Just buy a calendar that lists US holidays and you will be able to figure it out each year.)

Registration opens each year on June 1 (the registration form is downloadable from the website) and registration always closes on September 1). You save $10 by pre-registering.

You must be an NSS member to be a primary registrant. Non-NSS members must be sponsered by an NSS member. Each member is limited to 3 non-NSS member guests. Non-members pay $10 more than NSS members.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby ljthawk » Aug 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Yah, what Martha said.

graveleye wrote:It's technically called the "TAG Fall Cave-in" if we want to get to splitting hairs. I just call it TAG... who cares really... we all know what we're talking about.

Shame on you, you are a DCG member. Do me a favor, next Tuesday night tell Joe what you wrote and report back what his thoughts are.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 25, 2009 8:11 am

I ain't askeered of Joe or even Martha :tonguecheek:

I know what the proper term is. I'm a busy man and I don't feel like saying "You going to the TAG Fall Cave-IN" hundreds of times. Every time I even type all that out, valuable seconds of my time are lost and cannot be regained. I might just start saying "are you going this year?" just for the sake of expediency. (y'all better know I'm joking)

On a similar note: SERA.... is it SEE-RAH, or SE-RAH? I think it should be SEE-RAH. It's more fun to say.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Aug 25, 2009 8:47 am

graveleye wrote:I ain't askeered of Joe or even Martha :tonguecheek:

I know what the proper term is. I'm a busy man and I don't feel like saying "You going to the TAG Fall Cave-IN" hundreds of times. Every time I even type all that out, valuable seconds of my time are lost and cannot be regained. I might just start saying "are you going this year?" just for the sake of expediency. (y'all better know I'm joking)

On a similar note: SERA.... is it SEE-RAH, or SE-RAH? I think it should be SEE-RAH. It's more fun to say.

The "purists" shorten it to Cave-In (that is 4 more key strokes if you are typing. . . don't think it takes me that much time to do 4 key strokes). Saying it doesn't take more time. :shrug:

Technically SERA refers to the SouthEastern Regional Association . . . the associated event is the Cave Carnival (or more correctly the Summer Cave Carnival) :boxing:

As to how you pronounce it . . . depends on if you live in GA or not. I pronounce it SER-AHH (but I'm from Alabama transplanted to TN). :rofl:

Gotta run - off work today but have a ton of errands. . . can't stay around to play here.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Casper » Aug 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Any suggestions for easy trips this year? While I would love to be able to take in a couple of hours long trips involving lots of crawling and climbing I'm not sure if I'm physicaly going to be up to it. Problems from a car collsion this past spring arn't being resolved nearly as quickly as I had hoped for and I will be a much happy person If I can at least get under ground once. I know there is Cedar Ridge Crystal, I've lost track of the number of times I have been in there. I know there are simular caves out there I just dont have easy access to any of my resources at the current time, just need something with a minial amout of bending. Nothing like trying to plan ahead :big grin:
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Next

Return to Caver Events