Twittering

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Twittering

Postby dlocklear01 » Jun 21, 2009 11:59 am

removed
Last edited by dlocklear01 on Jul 29, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlocklear01
Infrequent Poster

Re: Twittering at ICS

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 26, 2009 9:38 am

Cool. Here's the direct link: https://twitter.com/KerrCaveNews
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby FW » Jun 26, 2009 10:47 am

What will be required to use WiFi at the ICS/convention? Will we need an account/password?

Does the school even allow access to Twitter? I work at a school, and I get a "not allowed by administrator", message just trying to access the Twitter site. Something about it being a "social network", implying it is a waste of time.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jun 26, 2009 8:02 pm

And don't forget about the OnlineCavers Twitter account, if you're an OnlineCavers.com member.

Start a tweet with @OnlineCavers and it will be automatically posted for other cavers to see (no extra username or password required). The system is automatic. Then all you have to do is follow @OnlineCavers.

If you've got a smartphone, like an iPhone, is easy to tweet and read.

The system is available year-round.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 12, 2009 8:42 am

FW wrote:What will be required to use WiFi at the ICS/convention? Will we need an account/password?

Does the school even allow access to Twitter? I work at a school, and I get a "not allowed by administrator", message just trying to access the Twitter site. Something about it being a "social network", implying it is a waste of time.

Access Twitter from your phone and then you don't need a Wi-Fi connection. You can also "turn on" phone access to specific Twitter accounts you follow, such as @OnlineCavers and get the SMS text messages sent to your phone.

Reminder, @onlinecavers (http://twitter.com/onlinecavers) runs 24/7 before, during and after the convention. Any tweets sent to @onlinecavers are automatically retweeted on the account -- no password or login required. If your phone is verified on your Twitter account, you can send to Twitter by texting 40404. http://help.twitter.com/forums/10711/entries/14226

If you have phone notifications turned on for @onlinecavers (through Twitter) then you'll get all @onlinecavers tweets as SMS text messages. Don't worry, there are very few, so far.

Twitter Phone FAQ: http://help.twitter.com/forums/10711/entries/14014

So far, it's not used much, but it's available when needed. :cave softly:

(You don't have to be a member of OnlineCavers.com to use the free service.)
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby FW » Jul 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:Access Twitter from your phone and then you don't need a Wi-Fi connection. You can also "turn on" phone access to specific Twitter accounts you follow, such as @OnlineCavers and get the SMS text messages sent to your phone.

I would, but my phone doesn't speak "Twitter" :roll:

It doesn't do email either.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 12, 2009 8:31 pm

What, you've got a cell phone and all it can do is.... phone? :tonguecheek:

Speaking of which, isn't it GREAT that you have no phone reception in a cave? Imagine how annoying it would be to be caving with someone who was constantly getting phone calls.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Melspelunker » Jul 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Cool. Here's the direct link: https://twitter.com/KerrCaveNews

Love the Batman on an Elephant.. :kewl:
Melspelunker
New Poster

Name: Melanie Butler
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

KerrCaveNews

Postby dlocklear01 » Jul 14, 2009 11:47 pm

So far, about 22 cavers are following this Twitter site, which is really just an experiment. I am betting it will be more
popular next year at the Vermont convention, or as more Twitterers become old enough to go caving. However, I think
there are areas for improvement with this method of communicating. For example, I saw today an add for a re-furbished
netbook for $ 130. I think once all cavers have some form of easily portable wi-fi gadget with them as they are heading to caver
events that this type of communication can become practical. What I don't like is the so-called "follower spam," were non-cavers
get on the list just to advertise. It is hard to weed them out. It needs to be able to operate without a mediator. What is unique
about KerrCaveNews, is that any caver who has obtained the password, can log on as the user of the account and post an immediate
message that can be read by all the cavers in the world, much faster than e-mail. They can also screw the site up pretty good if
they wanted to.
dlocklear01
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Events