Caving events

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Caving events

Postby graveleye » May 6, 2009 5:40 pm

for me, it's a good opportunity to get underground. I'm still catching up with you old timers who have already been to all the caves. :shrug:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: Caving events

Postby newmudpuppy » May 11, 2009 12:50 pm

graveleye wrote:I'm going caving while at SERA if I have to dig my own.

me too!! :banana: I will help dig....but then again, I think we could probably find some that already exist in AG (poor T, left out...but just for now, right?) :big grin:

Besides, my caving gear has not been outside of TAG ever, and I have always cleaned it pretty much according to the current decontamination protocol anyway.

I am hoping that we can manage to avoid the moratorium in this area anyway. I know that TN is one of the fringe states, but I believe that it would be safe to cave in the ones that are open, if none of your caving equipment has ever been out of TAG, right?

I haven't kept up with every post on WNS, but I remember hearing that the fungus prefers the colder cave temps, and does not thrive in the more southern cave temps...or has that assumption changed? I believe that we ALL should take all precautions and be especially careful from now on...forever...now that this threat has been discovered, and the research should go on until it is either resolved for good, or we learn how to manage it...but just closing all caves, no matter what the status of bat populations (or lack thereof) is in the individual caves, just doesn't make much sense, never mind that enforcing it would be impossible (if it were possible, then we could do a much better job of preventing vandalism, now, couldn't we?) The bats that I have seen all look very healthy and happy...especially now that the water levels are up and the promise of tons of mosquitoes seems iminent.... :laughing:

Sorry for rambling....

I am looking forward to LOTS of caving at SERA...and partying and vendors and camaraderie, of course.
:looking: :exploring: :toast: :caving: :cavingrocks: :toast: :bat sticker: :woohoo:
newmudpuppy
Occasional Poster

Name: Mary
NSS #: 40807
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Previous

Return to Caver Events