Crawlathon 2009

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Crawlathon 2009

Postby RedheadCavePrincess » Nov 6, 2008 9:29 am

Is crawlathon a good place for a first cave visit? My friend wants to try caving. We were going to start off on some easy walk thu/crawl thru lava tubes in Iceland in May, but there was a decent size earthquake, so we stayed aboveground. Looks Like I gotta go back to Iceland. Anyways, has anyone taken a virgin caver through the level 1 and 2 caves? I'm thinking of taking her to a couple of show caves first just to see how she does with the underworld. Anyone have any helpful hints?? Suggestions?? I was a little kid the first time I went in a cave, so there were no fears imbedded in my head. I wanted to live in a cave, well I still do!
Thanks
i wish i was in iceland :bat sticker:
RedheadCavePrincess
Infrequent Poster

Name: Deb
NSS #: 60748

Re: Crawlathon 2009

Postby Mike Hood » Nov 6, 2008 12:46 pm

Absolutely! Crawlathon has numerous cave trips for all levels. However, be sure to get registered as soon as you can as cave trips fill up fast! I think you'll have a great time!

Here is the Crawlathon website: http://www.crawlathon.com/

:cavingrocks:
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 6, 2008 3:37 pm

Yup, Crawlathon is a great place to take a virgin caver—possibly the best place. The event is very well organized and provides something for everyone. It's one of my favorite caving events.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Nov 6, 2008 8:47 pm

Hey, I looked at the site, and it sounds really neat. I really like how they have so many led trips for all kinds of cavers. This is most certainly goin on my list of events to make sometime. I dont think it will be this year, but one in the very near future. Itll be hard not to go back to places like Tag fall Cave In, and Karstorama, but I think I will have to rotate them out to see all of sweet events that are goin on.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby RedheadCavePrincess » Nov 7, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks for the replies! Im kinda nervous about this, it's different than taking the brats to the caves, kids are so fearless. They did great at Slaughter Canyon cave and spider cave in NM. So, looks like I'll be taking my friend to yoga to prepare for the trip. hopefully she'll fall in love with caves. :cavingrocks:
RedheadCavePrincess
Infrequent Poster

Postby George Dasher » Nov 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Gordon Brace is the banquet speaker this year.

He'll be talking about Germany Valley and Hellhole, and it should be a good talk with some good slides.

:banana:
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Andy » Dec 14, 2008 12:39 am

Greetings Cavers,

The 2009 Carter Caves State Resort Park Crawlaton Web Site is up and running! You can view it here:

http://www.crawlathon.com/

You can register for the Crawlathon and select your cave trips online. Online registration is now open!

Best Regards,

Andy Niekamp
Crawlathon Webmaster

:bat sticker:
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 30, 2008 3:03 pm

I just registered. Looks like there will be a good turnout from the Flittermouse Grotto. :woohoo: :clap:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Here's a news article on Crawlathon 2009

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jan 20, 2009 11:03 am

This is a news article from Kentucky, on Crawllathon 2009. http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/bri ... Crawlathon
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Andy » Jan 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news .... but the 2009 Crawlathon at Carter Caves State Park in Kentucky has been cancelled due to the threat of cavers spreading White Nose Syndrome. Below is the official letter.

Andy

January 20, 2009

Dear Crawlathon Guest:

I am writing to inform you that based upon the recommendation we received today from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Kentucky State Parks has decided to cancel this year’s Crawlathon at Carter Caves State Resort Park.

This request has been made due to the significant threat of the introduction to Kentucky of white-nose syndrome, a disease that is fatal to hibernating bats and has been found in caves in Northeastern states. In recent days and weeks, this disease has spread to other states.

Carter Caves State Resort Park is home to 65 percent of the state’s hibernating population of Indiana bats, a federally endangered species.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. For more information about this disease, visit http://www.fws.gov/northeast/white_nose.html

We will be providing a full refund of your registration fee and you will be able to cancel your lodging reservations at Carter Caves State Resort Park without a penalty. (You will need to call the park at 1-800-325-0059 in order to cancel your lodging reservations.)

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Gerry van der Meer
Commissioner
Kentucky State Parks
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 20, 2009 6:49 pm

:sadbanana: :sad: :cry:

But, I guess I understand. No sense in taking a chance. Maybe next year.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby RedheadCavePrincess » Apr 4, 2009 4:28 pm

The poor bats are really sick, they're coming out of the caves before the insects hatch and they're starving. They are so confused, their natural life cycles are disrupted. I heard there could be a 97% death rate for bats in the NE uS. This is scary, the bats help keep moquito borne illnesses at bay. Think about it, if the bats die off, the mosquitoes will overpopulate and increase the risk of EEE and all kinds of nasty diseases. :bat sticker:
deb
RedheadCavePrincess
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Events