31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

Postby graveleye » Oct 7, 2008 8:43 am

If you decide to do Sittons, be sure to check with the rangers at Cloudland Canyon. I think they have a limit to the number of people they let access the cave every day... and there are only certain days of the week you can visit.

Cloudland Canyon is my favorite camping spot in the state. I've been going there for over 20 years. The primitive camping spot has nice clean bathrooms and showers too.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby BassProBarbie » Oct 7, 2008 9:12 am

Hey, Caveflower! It depends on how short you consider "short", but I highly recommend hiking the Walls of Jericho. http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/pub ... abama.html

Barbie

caveflower wrote:We want to stay a couple extras days and wanted to do a short but pretty hike on sunday. Also is there any good camping close. We don't want to do the tourist trap at Ruby falls. Anyone got any good ideals?

Caveflower
BassProBarbie
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 45412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Alabama Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 7, 2008 1:58 pm

The Walls of Jericho is a really nice Hike (http://caverkelly.spaces.live.com/photo ... 482E!2436/) however it is not short and is about 6 miles roundtrip.

Also if you continue up 157 towards Chattanooga there is Glen Falls, and the other sites to check out such as the Natural Bridge (http://www.lookouthistory.com/naturalwonders.html), Point Park, Sunset Rock and Umbrella Rock and Moccasin Bend.

Also really close by is Pigeon Mountain and there are some great trails there too. The Estelle trail goes from 193 up to the top of the Mountain at the Pocket. If you hike the trail down from the pocket there are some old mines you can see and check out. Also at the bottom on the opposite side of the road is the old TAG (tennessee, alabama, georgia) rail tunnel that you can hike to (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2471 ... 1285hfplkx).

There is also the nice scenic drive along Little River Canyon that is worth checking out if you have never before (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I61meo5gMX8).

Kelly
Last edited by UnderGroundEarth on Oct 7, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 7, 2008 2:02 pm

Anyone going to try and do anything Thursday afternoon?
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby incavenow » Oct 7, 2008 6:43 pm

Weather update for the Cave-In. Rain tonight, up to 1/2 inch. Rain showers off and on, all day tomorrow with 1-2 inches possible. Thursday, scattered T-storms. Highs here in the valley will be @80 with lows in the mid 50's(subtract about 5 degrees for the mountain top), with Thursday being a little cooler. So everyone can exspect damp conditions as you set up camp. You might consider bringing a small rug to wipe your feet on before entering your tent, if you don't like to remove your footwear every time. :idea: Be prepared on any caving trips for wetter conditions and/or rising water. This damp weather also brings the 'skeeters' out so bring plenty of bug dope. As I said before, I haven't seen the yellowjackets this bad around here in years, so watch out for the pesky little devils. They love to get into open drink containers(especially beer cans!), and any food left in the open for more than a minute will have them swarming.
All said, I envy ya'll and wish I could be there. I'm sure everyone is gonna have a great time. :cave softly:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby JoeyS » Oct 7, 2008 11:47 pm

We plan to arrive on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby CaveSinger » Oct 8, 2008 8:11 am

Hey Barbie, I hope your craving sweet stuff. I'm bringing 30 dozen cookies for CAG and anyone who drops by the camp site! So come by and say Hi and have one of my famous cookies. See you Thursday!! :woohoo:
Magz Sims NSS47735
Birmingham Grotto
CaveSinger
Occasional Poster

Name: Magz
NSS #: 47735
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby CaverScott » Oct 8, 2008 8:26 am

Less than 24 hours until I am on the road! :bananabat: :bananabat: :bananabat: :bananabat:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby incavenow » Oct 8, 2008 12:44 pm

Lots and lots of rain right now. It's been raining steady with some thunder since around midnight. The water is running off my yard and driveway and my folding chairs (ooops, I left them out), are running over. The german shepherds are soaked and miserable. Hopefully this will let up tonight and start drying out tomorrow, although there is still a chance for more of the wet stuff then. I hope all of you get a dry spell as you set up camp. Please be careful driving in. People around here seem to forget how to drive in the rain after we've been dry awhile.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby wendy » Oct 8, 2008 2:43 pm

Graham and I are currently in Middle Georgia, dropping of the 4 legged kids with my folks and will be on our way north first thing in the morning, we are half way there now. woo hoo :banana:
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 8, 2008 2:47 pm

Jeff, thanks for the weather, gas, etc updates. I find them helpful. :clap:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby CKB69 » Oct 8, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm getting my Jeep packed , be there tomorrow ~ noon .
Hopefully they can have the BIG fire , maybe even individual campfires . :calvin: :campfire: :calvin: :campfire:
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Oct 8, 2008 6:15 pm

Gettin the dogs off to mother in laws. And leaving from there early to try and make it by 12 or 1. C yall there!!! :woohoo:
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby incavenow » Oct 8, 2008 6:23 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Jeff, thanks for the weather, gas, etc updates. I find them helpful. :clap:

I'm more than glad to help. As I can't make it up the mountain this year, I wanted to do something to help out. I'm fixing to run by Wally World and will give ya'll a gas price update shortly. Wife said it was $3.68 in Chickamauga when she came thru this evening.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby incavenow » Oct 8, 2008 7:39 pm

Gas prices in LaFayette are spread across the board. $3.65, $3.69, and $3.74 is what I saw went I went out tonight at 8 PM. The cheapest being at the Murphy's at Wal-Mart. Everyone be aware that the Superstore here in LaFayette is not a 24 hour store. I believe it closes around 11 or midnight.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events