31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

Postby cavercrew » Oct 3, 2008 10:04 pm

The Pigeon Mountain grotto will have a booth on vendors row this year to help raise money for the grotto to be able to purchase a new projector for our meeting programs and donate to needy cave related organizations. We are selling all manner of items collected from grotto members. We will also have some vintage caving literature for sale and plan to have a silent auction or 2.
Stop by and see us and help support a local grotto.

Mike Hopkins
cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby BassProBarbie » Oct 4, 2008 12:14 pm

After missing the Cave-In last year due to work, I will be bringing two new people with me for their very first TAG: Leann from Nashville and "Brother John" from the NNJG. They will have to do all of my caving for me because I'm incubating a future little caver right now. :big grin: We'll all four arrive very late Thursday night.

Look for us at the CAG campsite. On Saturday night CAG members will be dressed in military costumes and gear in support of our military members who can't be with us this year. :patriotic2:

Can't wait to see everyone again!!! :egyptian:

Barbie Voegtle
NSS, CRF, CAG, & NNJG
BassProBarbie
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 45412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Alabama Grotto

Postby Casper » Oct 5, 2008 4:07 pm

I will not be sober this year, i promise, i don't know what i was thinking last year.

Well Wendy it's not like some of us didn't try and talk some sence into ya. :toast: :there yet:
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby incavenow » Oct 6, 2008 5:30 am

This gas situation is still crazy in LaFayette. Back to just one station with gas, Murphy's at Wally World. Regular at $3.71 a gallon.

On another note...I've got a baaad feeling on our chances for having campfires this year. It hasn't rained for about two weeks and although the weatherman calls for chances for showers Wednesday and Thursday, this is almost the exact same type of weather we had last year.
Yellowjackets are also much worse this year around here, so be prepared, ya'll.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby graveleye » Oct 6, 2008 8:13 am

well probably by Thursday/Friday the gas situation will be back to normal. It's just about all over with here in Atlanta.

They are saying there is a very good chance of a soaking rain on Wednesday and Thursday. I imagine it will also rain up there too so maybe we will be able to have some fires after all. Good thing is that the rain is supposed to be over with by Friday!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

TAG Announcement!!!

Postby roger_haley » Oct 6, 2008 3:44 pm

BIG Announcement
Come to Vendor Row Friday Night For a BIG Announcement about a new property purchase for YOUR SCCi!!!
at 8PM TAG Time!!!!

Following the announcement, the SCCi will host a celebration and reception featuring a variety of commercial and craft-brewed beers, soft drinks, and assorted munchies."
Make a $20 donation and get a collectible beverage mug which features the SCCi's newest acquisition. Donors are invited to fill their mugs at the hospitality area in our booth and help celebrate the new purchase."
You can fill it as many times as you want!

So come help us celebrate this MAJOR Purchase!!!!

You will not go away unhappy!

--
Roger Haley
Huntsville, Alabama
roger_haley
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29236FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Oct 6, 2008 3:48 pm

Speaking of TAG TIME, what time zone is it down there? Im in Indiana, I need to know if I need to change times on my way down???
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Dangerjudy » Oct 6, 2008 4:30 pm

The TAG Fall-Cave In is in Georgia, thus in Eastern Time. :grin:
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby caveflower » Oct 6, 2008 5:34 pm

We want to stay a couple extras days and wanted to do a short but pretty hike on sunday. Also is there any good camping close. We don't want to do the tourist trap at Ruby falls. Anyone got any good ideals?

Caveflower
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby wendy » Oct 6, 2008 6:16 pm

caveflower wrote:We want to stay a couple extras days and wanted to do a short but pretty hike on sunday. Also is there any good camping close. We don't want to do the tourist trap at Ruby falls. Anyone got any good ideals?

Caveflower

I think you can camp at Cloudland Canyon State Park. It's around the corner from the cave-in site.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby caveflower » Oct 6, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks Wendy!
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby incavenow » Oct 6, 2008 6:34 pm

caveflower wrote:We want to stay a couple extras days and wanted to do a short but pretty hike on sunday. Also is there any good camping close. We don't want to do the tourist trap at Ruby falls. Anyone got any good ideals?

Caveflower

Cloudland Canyon has a nice campground and a great trail into the canyon, beautiful waterfalls. There is Raccoon Mountain Caverns campground in Tiftionia, TN. There is also some primitive camping areas on Crockford-Pigeon Mtn. management area, one right next to Pettijohn's Cave. A nice hike is located on Pigeon Mtn. at a place called Rock Town. About a mile hike in to some large rock formations that are a mecca for rock climbers. I just took my kids in there last week(they need to put balloon tires on strollers!), and it was very nice. Great trail, but the erosion barriers were murder on my daughters stroller. :tonguecheek: Chattahoochee National Forest has some lands near here(LaFayette), that allow primitive camping. You can find more on the web. Also Sloppy Floyds State Park in Summerville. You might try a search for camping in North Georgia if these don't sound like what you're looking for.
Update on gas in LaFayette, Murpy's and Mapco have regular gas only right now at $3.69. The Kangaroo has full tanks of all grades, but their Regular was $3.78 when I stopped in there this evening. The clerk did say they would probably drop that price in the morning to stay in line with the other stations. Weather forcast here is low 80's daytime to mid 50's at night, but that's in the valley. Chance of showers Wed. and more showers Thurs. then clear again.
As I hate to say it, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the Cave-In this year. My wife seems to have contracted a mild case of food poisoning(not from my cooking, but McDonalds), and is toughing it out. She's still making it to work, but she's weaker than a kitten and has begged me to stay at home to help her. It's just not in the cards for this year, dern it. :shrug: I guess I'll just stay at home this weekend and put up some crabapple jelly. Got a tree just loaded with them and they make a great jelly. I've also got to finish cutting and braiding my small patch of sweetgrass. I sure will miss ya'll and will try to make next year.
:cave softly:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby caveflower » Oct 6, 2008 6:50 pm

That's to bad Jeff I hope she feels better soon. Thanks for all the great info they all sound good. Oh no now I have to make up my mind which one. :doh:
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby incavenow » Oct 6, 2008 7:39 pm

caveflower wrote:That's to bad Jeff I hope she feels better soon. Thanks for all the great info they all sound good. Oh no now I have to make up my mind which one. :doh:

Thanks, Brandi seems to have a hard time getting over stomach upsets and this one has been a doozy. I'm not gonna go into all the graphic details! To be totally honest, our concerns over campfires have had just a little bearing on our decision. But Brandi's imitation of a pelican feeding its young is the clincher!
The list of camping areas I provided is by no way complete for this area. The Pocket campground down by Lake Marvin is another one that comes to mind as a beautiful area, big spring, troutfishing, etc. I've lived in this area near all my life and used to camp out everytime I had some time off. Of course, getting married and having the babies in the house really slowed that down. But my boy, Jacob is 5 going on 6 now and I plan on getting back into the groove again with him. However, you can't go wrong with Wendy's suggestion for Cloudland Canyon. There are actually a couple of caves there(one gated), but Sittons Cave should be open. It's a beautiful canyon and the trees are just starting to get some color, so the overlook should be great on the point. It's only a few miles from the TAG Cave-In, but it might be a good idea to check their web site and see if you need to reserve a campsite. I hope you're in good shape if you take the canyon trail as its a loooong climb back up it. :big grin:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby REB1 » Oct 7, 2008 4:48 am

Caveflower, there's Lookout Lake,and Cloudland canyon campgrounds just down the road from Tag.
REB1
Occasional Poster

Name: Rodney Bradford
NSS #: 58040
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events