31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

Postby incavenow » Sep 22, 2008 3:13 pm

mgmills wrote:
People forget that prior to the Cave-In moving to the current location no campfires were allowed in individual campsites unless you were one of the few elite to get one of the regular campground campsites.

And slightly :off topic: but on the subject of campfires . . . with so many "tree diseases" out there these days bringing in wood from other places isn't really such a great idea. Not singling you out specifically Jeff since you are close enough any diseases your trees have would possibly be there anyway but some folks travel across several states and could bring in diseased wood.

Martha- I admit it had been a few years since my last Cave-In until we started at the new campsite, but I do remember the last couple of times I went we were allowed fires as long as they were off the ground(fire pan). On tree diseases, you are absolutly correct. There are problems in other parts of the country with trees and/or parasites. But there is a lot of dead wood lying around the Cave-In site and after people rustled up all the dead wood, think how much cleaner the woods would be and an even lesser fire hazard would result after all the dead stuff was cleaned up. I'll try my darnedest to be up there this Saturday to discuss this with the persons you recommended. I realise I sound like I keep harping on this subject, but it is something I feel strongly about. I've camped out all my life and it just doesn't seem like camping without a fire. I build a campfire regularly here at home in a fire pan so my family can enjoy an open fire. We cookout, toast marshmellows(and make smores), and just enjoy ourselves around the fire. My 5 year old makes himself useful by picking up all the limbs, sticks and even little twigs he can find to contribute to our fires. He definitely helps keep the yard looking cleaner. My wife has gone so far as to say she didn't want to camp where she couldn't have a fire to snuggle up to and warm up in the morning. I'm really hoping we can have fires this year.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby mgmills » Sep 22, 2008 8:23 pm

incavenow wrote:
My wife has gone so far as to say she didn't want to camp where she couldn't have a fire to snuggle up to and warm up in the morning. I'm really hoping we can have fires this year.

At caving events I can live without a fire because my main reason for attending is to see old caving friends and make new caving friends as well as seeing what the "newest offerings" are at the vendors.

If the weather is predicted to be "frigid" and fires aren't allowed there is always the option of a small propane powered heater for warmth.

I will admit I enjoy a fire when camping and also we frequently build a small fire in our yard when we are entertaining caver friends and family.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby CaverScott » Sep 23, 2008 7:17 am

wendy wrote:
Also remind people that they are not allowed to cut down trees at the fall cave-in site. I think I remember some guy geting ejected for chopping down some trees so his truck would fit in his spot.
:yikes:

Right you are! I recall that as well!
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby boogercaver71 » Sep 23, 2008 10:10 am

On a different note, I keep hearing about gas shortages and long lines from Nashville to Atlanta. What is the scoop on this
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 23, 2008 10:17 am

As I walked my daughter to school this morning (in Asheville, NC), we passed two gas stations blessed with their first (limited) delivery in two weeks. The lines were 30 cars deep in each direction. $4.49 for regular. But, my mother in law paid $3.36 in KY on Monday. Hopefully, by Columbus Day weekend, supplies will be better and prices down a little.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby CaverScott » Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am

boogercaver71 wrote:On a different note, I keep hearing about gas shortages and long lines from Nashville to Atlanta. What is the scoop on this
I drove from Birmingham to Carrollton (GA) this past weekend. Carrollton is South of Interstate 20 just after you cross the state line. We stopped at one station for snacks, a no-name place, and they were out of gas; otherwise, I saw no lines of any kind during our trip. Birmingham has plenty at reasonable prices (last night I drove past my regular station offering regular at $3.86)
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cave rat » Sep 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Gas was down to $3.86 to at the Race Track in Jasper, Al today. And that is down .03/gallon since last week :banana: .

Maybe it will drop. I would not mind doing 2 caving trips this next month :tonguecheek: .
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby boogercaver71 » Sep 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Wow, I really feel lucky to live in SW MO where I paid $3.24 a gallon today.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby CaverScott » Sep 24, 2008 8:08 am

boogercaver71 wrote:Wow, I really feel lucky to live in SW MO where I paid $3.24 a gallon today.
I lowest I have seen it in the last few months, is $3.49 :down:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 24, 2008 8:30 am

most places around here don't have any gas at all. :yikes:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby cavercrew » Sep 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Anyone have any info on whether or not there will be any day passes and if so how much?
Also, whats the latest on camp fires?

Mike Hopkins
cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby Amocholes » Sep 28, 2008 7:10 am

Got room for a Yankee to come down from Ohio?

I've been to TAG once and really enjoyed it. I've got some vacation time to use up and this would be good trip. I've only met a couple of TAG cavers so I don't really know anyone but I'm always willing to meet new folks.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby mgmills » Sep 28, 2008 4:10 pm

cavercrew wrote:Anyone have any info on whether or not there will be any day passes and if so how much?
Also, whats the latest on camp fires?

Mike Hopkins

Day passes will be available but I don't know the cost. Last year the way it worked was to enter on a "day-pass" you paid the full-admission and when you left you got your refund of the difference between a day-pass and the full-admission.

Rememer if you get a "day-pass" on Saturday you have to leave before 4 pm to get this refund because registration closes at 4 pm on Saturday.

Regarding campfires: I was at a "workweekend" at the Cave-In site this weekend. I asked the Cave-In Chair about campfires and he said a decision won't be made until just prior to the event. A lot depends on what the weather does between now and then. There has been very little rain at the site for the last couple of weeks and it was pretty dry this weekend.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Sep 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Amocholes wrote:Got room for a Yankee to come down from Ohio?

I've been to TAG once and really enjoyed it. I've got some vacation time to use up and this would be good trip. I've only met a couple of TAG cavers so I don't really know anyone but I'm always willing to meet new folks.

Southerner's are generally welcoming, even to "Yankee's from Ohio". The only requirement to attend is to be an NSS member or the guest of an NSS member and the desire to have fun.

Gas has generally been available in the area as long as your aren't near Atlanta. (I learned this weekend that some of the Atlanta problems have been due to the fact Atlanta has laws requiring a special blend to minimize emissions.) In the rest of T.A.G. land there are occassional stations that are "out of gas" but gas is available. Not all stations have all grades of fuel. Hopefully, as the gulf coast gets back to nearer to normal in the next week, supplies will improve.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby Kevenater » Sep 29, 2008 4:29 pm

I deliver gas around north Alabama. Availability is still pretty iffy around here. We load all of the gas in Birmingham. There's always some gas at some terminals but nowhere near normal. We just have to run from terminal to terminal till we find what we're looking for. We've had to deliver premium in the regular tanks quite often since the hurricanes so you might get lucky and get premium for regular price lol. Did I read correctly that it's $60 for registration? I hope not!! lol I planned on taking my brother and his gf, but there is no way he'll pay that much..... We wanted to go sat morning and camp sat night. Haven't been since it was moved from Sequoyah caverns. What is there to do during the evening? We wouldn't be caving. His gf gets bored very easily....... :roll:
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Name: Keven Williams
NSS #: 46794

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events