31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

Postby cave rat » Aug 26, 2008 2:21 pm

About the only one you will go up against, on knots, is Bill Cuddington.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby caveflower » Aug 26, 2008 3:08 pm

I am so bummed! I hurt my knee this weekend and its going to take 4-6 weeks to heal. So I guess I'll be doing a lot of socializing and little caving. Maybe I can do a bunny cave by then. Maybe some short pit cave I can frog with one leg. Any suggestions?
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Cool, I wish there was more competition, but I think it would be fun to give it a try. I guess that might make it a 50/50 chance of winning though :woohoo: Ill have to get over to my parents and practice a few times to see how I stack up against those records. Maybe someone will let my try their system to see if I can climb fast on it.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Rusty's Cave is small, short pit and pretty decorated. Might be perfect if your leg heals up.

My first Cave-in we went to, my wife had had an operation weeks before so we only did a tiny bit of caving. We were so lucky to get to do anything at all so I wasn't complaining.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby incavenow » Sep 9, 2008 4:48 pm

Wendy and Eric...If ya'll are looking for an easy horz. cave, you might think about giving Howard's Waterfall Cave a shot. Very easy cave, although there is alot of crawling. Plus it's very close to the campground as it's in Trenton and it's right beside the road, so there is no long hike in. My wife and I are planning to be up at the campground Thursday noon, so I'll be looking to say howdy to everyone again. Missed the prereg deadline(again), but at least I'll save more money than most on gas for the trip as I live right here in LaFayette, just 25 miles away!
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby wendy » Sep 9, 2008 6:41 pm

incavenow wrote:Wendy and Eric...If ya'll are looking for an easy horz. cave, you might think about giving Howard's Waterfall Cave a shot. Very easy cave, although there is alot of crawling. Plus it's very close to the campground as it's in Trenton and it's right beside the road, so there is no long hike in. My wife and I are planning to be up at the campground Thursday noon, so I'll be looking to say howdy to everyone again. Missed the prereg deadline(again), but at least I'll save more money than most on gas for the trip as I live right here in LaFayette, just 25 miles away!

Thanks, i had thought of that too. It doesn't matter if I have been to the cave before, my boyfriend hasn't been to any of them so I want him to have a good time.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby incavenow » Sep 9, 2008 6:56 pm

Wendy- Ya'll can even find some good mud in the back room of the cave. And don't miss taking him into the bypass crawl if you go. My avatar pic here is me coming out of it on a trip years ago.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby cave rat » Sep 9, 2008 8:23 pm

caveflower wrote:Maybe some short pit cave I can frog with one leg. Any suggestions?

As I said before, I am leading a trip to Raulston's and Lost Mule Pit that weekend. Lost Mule is 103' and Raulstons is a broken drop with two pits- 65' and 70'.

I will be frogging out of Raulston's.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

2008 TAG Fall Cave-in update

Postby kvart » Sep 16, 2008 7:42 pm

The first work weekend for the Cave-in was this past weekend. The Saturday night bon fire is built and the field is mowed and looking awesome this year. There is a new liner in the hot tub and the spa area is also looking awesome. We're ready! Are you?

Speaking of getting ready, there was a CAB (Cave-In Advisory Board) meeting on Sunday and the powers that be decided that for this year as a trial; anyone arriving after registration hours will be allowed to enter the site, provided they fill out the necessary form, sign a release, and either write a check or leave cash in the amount of $60 per person. (Please note we do not take any plastic. That means no Visa, Master Card, American Express, or any debit cards.) You will not receive a parking sticker, a badge, or be eligible for door prizes until you register. Upon registering, you will recieve your change (Registration costs $37 for NSS members), your badge, your parking sticker, and be eligible for door prizes. Those that are pre-registered will be allowed in with no further dues, but will need to come back to registration to receive your goodies.

This is a one time trial basis only. If it is abused, I can almost guarantee you that we will go back to the old way and never return. No other changes were made to the registration policies.

Glenn Mills
Vice Chair 2008 TAG Fall Cave-in
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby incavenow » Sep 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure there will be a few weary road warriors who will show up late and be glad not to have to hunt up a hotel after fighting traffic half way across the country. Hopefully therre won't be any abuse of this offer. Circumstances can cause people to miss their arrival time and this would be a great help.Thanks.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby mgmills » Sep 16, 2008 8:37 pm

incavenow wrote:Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure there will be a few weary road warriors who will show up late and be glad not to have to hunt up a hotel after fighting traffic half way across the country. Hopefully therre won't be any abuse of this offer. Circumstances can cause people to miss their arrival time and this would be a great help.Thanks.

I suspect the most usual circumstance was poor planning . . . though I can think of some valid reasons for missing a planned arrival time.

Bottom line - for those traveling long distances and "pushing" the timeframe pre-registration is the safest bet. :bananabat:

BTW- on Saturday night of the Cave in we will be 3 days before the "full moon" - I'm betting a lot of folks will be "howling at that moon"
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby incavenow » Sep 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for the warning Martha. I hadn't checked the calender for the moon times. Well, I hope no one is looking to get any rest. If we have clear skys and a bright moon the Margarita bar will be running their chain saw powered blender all night.(my wife was wondering who was sawing wood all night last year :grin: ). The restless party animals will not be able to settle down with the moon up. But hey, that's TAG for ya!! :banana:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 16, 2008 9:09 pm

mgmills wrote:. . . though I can think of some valid reasons for missing a planned arrival time.

hmmm... I can think of one... say you leave after work from Atlanta and hit 75 north. You've already been through some of the crappiest traffic you can imagine. You finally break free around Cartersville and suddenly there is a jack-knifed 18 wheeler about 140 in Adairsville. You just passed the Cassville-White exit and there is no turning back. You have 12 miles to go before the next exit.... so you sit, and sit, and sit, and sit.... :rant:
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

graveleye wrote:
mgmills wrote:. . . though I can think of some valid reasons for missing a planned arrival time.

hmmm... I can think of one... say you leave after work from Atlanta and hit 75 north. You've already been through some of the crappiest traffic you can imagine. You finally break free around Cartersville and suddenly there is a jack-knifed 18 wheeler about 140 in Adairsville. You just passed the Cassville-White exit and there is no turning back. You have 12 miles to go before the next exit.... so you sit, and sit, and sit, and sit.... :rant:

Yeah - I know some Atlanta Cavers who will travel backroads all the way just to avoid I-75
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 16, 2008 9:37 pm

for me and where I live it's a crap shoot. You just don't know. If you don't get in a 20 mile jam on 75 then you get stuck behind every tractor in NW Georgia! That's my luck anyway. I'm on the NE side of Atlanta and the only practical way there is to go is the top-end of 285 which can be horrible at any hour. We're notoriously late for everything.

We're coming up Friday morning so I think we're going to be on time (for a change).

I just got back from the DCG EC meeting and there was a lot of cave-in discussion of course. This is getting like Christmas was for me as a kid... it just can't get here soon enough!!!
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events