2008 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby durkion » Jun 2, 2008 12:31 pm

Today (6/2) is the last day to make use of the pre-registration price!! Save yourself some money to spend on gas this summer, register today!!!
User avatar
durkion
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Florida
Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Lost » Jun 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Is the only way to go digging @ Haile Quarryto go on the trip. Is it a closed site otherwise? Also Can I bring tanks along for a little dive trip in Ichetucknee Springs State Park ?
Lost
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mar 22, 2006 5:12 pm
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby durkion » Jun 18, 2008 11:44 am

Lost: Haile Quarry will ony be open for the field trip. This is an active quarry and only a few staff mebers form the Florida Museum of Natural History actually have access. So it's a real treat that they have agreed to take our group on a trip there.
As for a dive trip on the Itche, I'd recommend going another day. There will not be enough time for you to go during the field trip. The diving locations are different then the swimming holes where are groups will be spending time and there is an extra charge as well. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you decide to sign up!

Cara
User avatar
durkion
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Florida
Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby ellenhof » Jun 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate for Convention. I plan to go, but haven't booked a hotel room yet. (I'm a wimp - I need air conditioning).
Pertinent info:
will share with male or female
non-smoking a must
probably won't spend much time in the room
I'm signed up for a field trip Sunday, so I'll be arriving Saturday.
I'm a diver, but not a cave diver. I prefer to keep the two sports separate. Certainly hoping to do some diving be it rivers or ocean.
Thanks,
Ellen Hofler
Flittermouse Grotto, Philly Grotto, CNJG
User avatar
ellenhof
Infrequent Poster
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Aug 12, 2007 11:06 am
Location: Mars Hill, NC (near Asheville)
Name: Ellen Hofler
NSS #: 43665
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Scott Parvin » Jun 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm getting excited about heading to FL! I've been trying to decide whether to camp or wimp out in a motel room. What's the scoop on the campground?

I know it's at the fairground, but is it grassy? Is there any shade? What about shower facilites? Porta potties or some flush toilets? Just wondering...

Thanks for the help and I'll see ya'll there!

Scott
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.
______________________

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
User avatar
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Hayden, Alabama
NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby durkion » Jun 28, 2008 11:38 am

Scott-

The fairgrounds camping area is grassy. There will be both portapoties and flush toilets as well as showers avaialble. The one drawback is the lack of shade, but most people will have those pop up canopies as they do at all the otehr caver events i've been to. I think we've even worked on having a few mist tents set up - which will be awesome in the afternoon.

However, if you decide to skip the camping this year, the hotels are right across the street from the fairgrounds. It's a busy road, but none the less, not far away at all.

We look forward to having you here!

Cara
User avatar
durkion
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Florida
Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Lost » Jun 28, 2008 7:15 pm

ellenhof wrote:Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate for Convention. I plan to go, but haven't booked a hotel room yet. (I'm a wimp - I need air conditioning).
Pertinent info:
will share with male or female
non-smoking a must
probably won't spend much time in the room
I'm signed up for a field trip Sunday, so I'll be arriving Saturday.
I'm a diver, but not a cave diver. I prefer to keep the two sports separate. Certainly hoping to do some diving be it rivers or ocean.
Thanks,
Ellen Hofler
Flittermouse Grotto, Philly Grotto, CNJG
If you dive you should atleast dive some of the springs the caverns are cool. Ginnie is a great cavern dive. I'm from PA as well I will be down for the con.
Lost
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mar 22, 2006 5:12 pm
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby CaverScott » Jun 28, 2008 10:13 pm

durkion wrote:Scott-

The fairgrounds camping area is grassy. There will be both portapoties and flush toilets as well as showers avaialble. The one drawback is the lack of shade, but most people will have those pop up canopies as they do at all the otehr caver events i've been to. I think we've even worked on having a few mist tents set up - which will be awesome in the afternoon.

However, if you decide to skip the camping this year, the hotels are right across the street from the fairgrounds. It's a busy road, but none the less, not far away at all.

We look forward to having you here!

Cara


Cara- Could you go into more depth regarding the shower situation? how many? Permanent? Temporary? Caver Built?
User avatar
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 7:38 am
Location: Birmingham, Alabama (TAG!)
NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby durkion » Jun 30, 2008 9:31 am

CaverScott wrote:
Cara- Could you go into more depth regarding the shower situation? how many? Permanent? Temporary? Caver Built?


We are renting shower trailers with unlimmited hot and cold water. One trailer for men and one for women.
User avatar
durkion
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Florida
Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby CaverScott » Jun 30, 2008 9:36 am

durkion wrote:
CaverScott wrote:
Cara- Could you go into more depth regarding the shower situation? how many? Permanent? Temporary? Caver Built?


We are renting shower trailers with unlimmited hot and cold water. One trailer for men and one for women.



Gotcha - Sounds like the Huntsville set up. How many actual shower heads per "fella" will this allow?
User avatar
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 7:38 am
Location: Birmingham, Alabama (TAG!)
NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby durkion » Jun 30, 2008 10:17 am

CaverScott wrote:
durkion wrote:
CaverScott wrote:
Cara- Could you go into more depth regarding the shower situation? how many? Permanent? Temporary? Caver Built?


We are renting shower trailers with unlimmited hot and cold water. One trailer for men and one for women.



Gotcha - Sounds like the Huntsville set up. How many actual shower heads per "fella" will this allow?


Yup, just like the set up at Huntsville. I think there's 7 shower stalls in each trailer.
User avatar
durkion
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Florida
Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Lost » Jun 30, 2008 2:41 pm

I was trying to signup for the geolgy trip and a day pass do I need to pay the $117 and $35 just to attend for 1 day?
Lost
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mar 22, 2006 5:12 pm
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby durkion » Jun 30, 2008 3:05 pm

Lost wrote:I was trying to signup for the geolgy trip and a day pass do I need to pay the $117 and $35 just to attend for 1 day?


You should be able to just register for the day pass of the day you want to attend plus the field trip. If it's trying to make you register for the whole week, you should contact the person in charge of registration. registration@nss2008.com

Hope this helps.
Cara
User avatar
durkion
Occasional Poster
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Florida
Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Scott Parvin » Jun 30, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks Cara!

I'm looking forward to Convention! I was wondering if the Geology Field Trip is full. I've already registered, but neglected to sign up for the Field Trip. It looks like fun. :banana:

I emailed the registration email address a few days ago, but haven't heard anything yet.
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.
______________________

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
User avatar
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Hayden, Alabama
NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham
  

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Lost » Jun 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Scott Parvin wrote: I was wondering if the Geology Field Trip is full.
I was trying to sign up 2 for that as well.
Lost
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mar 22, 2006 5:12 pm
  

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]