2008 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2008 Convention

Postby Scott Parvin » Jun 30, 2008 8:56 pm

Lost wrote:
Scott Parvin wrote: I was wondering if the Geology Field Trip is full.
I was trying to sign up 2 for that as well.

I just heard from Susan Kettles, registration chairman, and there are spots open. Thanks for the hard work Susan and Cara! See ya'll in August!
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby durkion » Jul 1, 2008 8:33 am

Lost wrote:
Scott Parvin wrote: I was wondering if the Geology Field Trip is full.
I was trying to sign up 2 for that as well.

Last I heard there were still about 30 spaces left on the geology field trip. And Lots of spaces on the ecology field trip. I know I'm running the geology field trip so I'm a bit partial to that one, but the ecology trip will be a lot of fun too. They are heading to some beautiful areas. I often take my geology students to Paines Prarie. I just couldnt fit that location in on the convention geology field trip with everything else. I'm glad the ecology trip is heading there, it's worth seeing.
durkion
Occasional Poster

Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society

Postby CaverScott » Jul 2, 2008 7:42 am

Durkion - Time to talk caves! :banana_yay:

I want to take Jules and my buddy to Warren Cave (NSS Preserve) on Saturday before convention starts. What is the scoop? (Feel free to PM me)

What is the access policy to Catacombs.... man, that brings back the memories! Imagine my shock when I moved from the warm cave waters of Florida to feel the COLD :yikes: water in Lilburn Cave, CA!
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby durkion » Jul 2, 2008 9:31 am

CaverScott wrote:Durkion - Time to talk caves! :banana_yay:

I want to take Jules and my buddy to Warren Cave (NSS Preserve) on Saturday before convention starts. What is the scoop? (Feel free to PM me)

What is the access policy to Catacombs.... man, that brings back the memories! Imagine my shock when I moved from the warm cave waters of Florida to feel the COLD :yikes: water in Lilburn Cave, CA!

I'm sure a lot of people will have caving questions.

I know that during convention we will have a caving information table set up with directions, descriptions, and access information at the convention site. We will also have people leading trips to various caves through out the week.

I'll have to look into access on saturday before convention starts for Warrens and get back to you. (For others reading this, Warrens is the longest dry cave in Florida and less then an hour drive from the convention site)

I do know that Catacombs will be open again sometime this month, which means it will be open for convention. There will be access information about that cave at the info table as well. (for those who do not know this cave, it houses a maternity colony during certain times of the year. We close the cave when pups are young). I suggest at least a shortie wet suit or poly pros for this cave - the entire thing is swimming around in 73 degree water. You get chilly after an hour of that. Or in my case, about 15 minutes....

There is video footage of both of these caves mentioned above on the convnetion web site.

I hope this helps.
Cara
durkion
Occasional Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jul 2, 2008 12:05 pm

durkion wrote:I suggest at least a shortie wet suit or poly pros for this cave - the entire thing is swimming around in 73 degree water. You get chilly after an hour of that.

:yikes: A wet suit for 73 degree water? You got to be kidding right? :big grin: That is almost 20 degrees warmer than my caves up here in 'bama. If I wore a wetsuit, I would cook like a cave fish in boiling water ! :laughing:

durkion wrote: Or in my case, about 15 minutes....

Cara
:shocked: 15 minutes :shocked:
Ok, you need to spend more time underground and away from the beach! :big grin:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 2, 2008 12:13 pm

CaverScott wrote: If I wore a wetsuit, I would cook like a cave fish in boiling water ! :laughing:

Now that I'd like to see!! :big grin:
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby caverjules » Jul 2, 2008 12:21 pm

yahoo, warm water caving, I can't wait! Even with my wetsuit AND polypros, the caves here take my breath away just swimming for 10 minutes.... :bananabat:
caverjules
Occasional Poster

Postby durkion » Jul 2, 2008 12:32 pm

Excuse me, but I dont spend any time at the beach. In fact, since I've moved to Florida almost 4 years ago, I've been to the beach less then 5 times, and those were only for geology field trips. :big grin:
Seriously though, I can spend all day in these caves in just a tank top and long pants, but being immersed in water gets to me and saps away any body heat i produce. It may be a warm 73 degrees, but if you're going to spend a few hours in that, you'll want more then just long pants and a t-shirt. But hey, you dont have to listen to my advice, of course the last time people ignored my suggestion of a shortie wet suit or poly pro, they ended up very jealous of mine.
Oh, and i'm really only suggesting this for Catacombs. The other caves with water that i've been in are not completely water passages like Catacombs.
durkion
Occasional Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jul 2, 2008 3:03 pm

durkion wrote:Excuse me, but I dont spend any time at the beach.
But you look so tan in your avatar! :big grin:

durkion wrote:Seriously though, I can spend all day in these caves in just a tank top and long pants, but being immersed in water gets to me and saps away any body heat i produce. It may be a warm 73 degrees, but if you're going to spend a few hours in that, you'll want more then just long pants and a t-shirt.
Yup, so true, but I couldn't resist! :big grin:

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all our questions and being the "cave chat" face of the convention. I appreciate that! See you at the howdy party! :toast: :rock band:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lost » Jul 2, 2008 3:48 pm

CaverScott wrote:
durkion wrote:I suggest at least a shortie wet suit or poly pros for this cave - the entire thing is swimming around in 73 degree water. You get chilly after an hour of that.

:yikes: A wet suit for 73 degree water? You got to be kidding right?
A lot of cave divers will do the dives in a drysuit. in FL springs.
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby durkion » Jul 3, 2008 11:47 am

CaverScott wrote:
durkion wrote:Excuse me, but I dont spend any time at the beach.
But you look so tan in your avatar! :big grin:

Oh. that's not a tan..that's bat guano!

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all our questions and being the "cave chat" face of the convention. I appreciate that! See you at the howdy party! :toast: :rock band:[/quote]
No problem. See you there!!
durkion
Occasional Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jul 4, 2008 7:07 am

durkion wrote:Oh. that's not a tan..that's bat guano!

:rofl: :clap:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jul 10, 2008 7:25 am

durkion wrote:Scott-

The fairgrounds camping area is grassy. There will be both portapoties and flush toilets as well as showers avaialble. The one drawback is the lack of shade, but most people will have those pop up canopies as they do at all the otehr caver events i've been to. I think we've even worked on having a few mist tents set up - which will be awesome in the afternoon.

However, if you decide to skip the camping this year, the hotels are right across the street from the fairgrounds. It's a busy road, but none the less, not far away at all.

We look forward to having you here!

Cara

Cara - Guess who?

Ok, I drove to St Pete for a funeral and turned around and drove back the next day. Wow, what a ride.... Anyway, I could not resist stopping by.

Here are some cell phone pics -

Top Picture is on the Left, middle photo is next, followed by the Right photo. Paste them together for the large, continuous image.

My question - Where are the Flush Toilets?
Last edited by CaverScott on Jul 10, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby durkion » Jul 10, 2008 9:36 am

Caver Scott-
There are a few different buildings at the fair grounds. The flush toilets are in one of those. I cant remember which one at the moment - and of course none of the photos on our planning forum are of the toilets. I'll see if I can get some of the Fair Grounds photos posted to the convention web page. I know Dave is kinda swamped right now, so we'll see. If you've got google earth, you can get a pretty good view of the campground!

Cara
durkion
Occasional Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jul 10, 2008 11:43 am

Other than one small, little building underneath the stands, I saw no other building.

Perhaps I was in the wrong place? :doh:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events