Alabama Cave Survey meeting scheduled

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Alabama Cave Survey meeting scheduled

Postby Scott Shaw » Jul 19, 2007 7:43 am

Alabama Cave Survey Meeting

The Alabama Cave Survey will hold its annual meeting on September 8th @ 9:00 am at the Scottsboro Public Library. The library is located at 1002 S Broad Street. That’s a few blocks north of Hwy 72 when you take the Broad Street exit (Hwy 279) as you get into town (or on the other side of town for those coming from the east). A location map can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 9,0.039911

We will hold a business meeting, collect dues (dues are based on the cost of printing the update and expected to be $10 to $12) and distribute the annual update. Map CDs will be available as will an updated version of the Narratives.

Please send in your new cave forms and updates ASAP. Deadline for those is July 31st. You can email them to me at nss30571@bellsouth.net or snail mail to Scott Shaw, 113 Harwell Lane, Meridianville, AL 35759. Also be sure and let me know if you’d like to do a presentation on a project or survey. There will be AV equipment available (a windows-based computer and electronic projector, so bring presentations on CD or memory stick). There’s also room to hang up maps for display, so bring those as well.

If there’s anything I can clarify or if you have questions, please let me know. An electronic version of the new cave report form is located on the ACS website at http://www.alacaves.org, or let me know and I’ll email you one.

Scott Shaw
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 19, 2007 9:39 am

Scott,

What database brand/version is the ACS housed in nowadays? I remember when Bill V. first computerized it. Heck, I may still have an original copy, too.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Scott Shaw » Jul 19, 2007 1:09 pm

As Jim hall said to me when I asked that same questions a while back - Good old excel :oops:
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Excel is not a database, of course, but the ACS is basically a large flat file anyway. Kind of difficult to extract sets of data, too unless you do it by simple variable sorting. I can just hear Jim saying that, too. :-)
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Caver Events