2007 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mgmills » Sep 4, 2007 3:32 pm

graveleye wrote:what's the scoop on Rusty's? We just went to Cedar Ridge not too long ago. If it stays as dry as it has been I might consider Bible Springs, but I don't want to freeze my keester off:)

Rustys may be crowded due to proximity to the Cave-In site. There is an ~ 40 foot pit to enter the cave. If I was going to go there I'd try to go early. There are a fair amount of formations in the cave. It is a very nice cave.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby tallgirl » Sep 4, 2007 4:48 pm

2 QUESTIONS:

1. I happen to have my "Fall Break" from college TAG Cave-in weekend and was wondering if there would be a way to stay in the area Sunday night and Monday night to get in some extra TAG caving. Would I have to go to a hotel or can I volunteer for the clean up crew or something?(this is all "what if", I would have to clear it with my carpooling buddies who aren't definitely going at this point anyhow :cry: )

2. Is anyone in the Northern VA/DC area interested in carpooling to the TAG Fall Cave-in? Was looking at leaving the area at about 4pm Thursday with a possible pick up in Charleston, WV for additional driver(s). Alternatively looking for persons interested in carpooling from Charleston area to leave for TAG Cave-in late Thursday night or early Friday morning.

I'm really trying to get this to work guys. Alan and Dave need to try harder to make it work! :hairpull:
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby wendy » Sep 4, 2007 5:00 pm

They are kinda big on [eople being completely out of there by noon on Sunday, don't know if they would let you stay to clean up.

Cloudland Canyon is right around the corner, I think they have camping there.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby wendy » Sep 4, 2007 5:10 pm

Well last year this I brought my little walkie talkie to keep in touch with folks during the cave-in and to find each other. Otherwise I would have missed the noodle wrestling. So this year you can find me on channel 9
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Sep 4, 2007 7:15 pm

wendy wrote:They are kinda big on [eople being completely out of there by noon on Sunday, don't know if they would let you stay to clean up.

Cloudland Canyon is right around the corner, I think they have camping there.

Wendy is correct. Even the staff that does the clean up is out of there shortly after noon on Sunday.

Cloudland does have camping. Also, it isn't that far to Mentone AL and DeSoto State Park. They have camping there also. DeSoto State Park is in the opposite direction of Cloudland. incavenow lives in the area and can probably give you information on local camping spots in GA.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 5, 2007 3:51 pm

Cloudland is literally right around the corner. Just be sure to let them know you're coming to be sure. They're good about reservations. They usually close up the ranger station about 4:30-5 though, but if you have a reservation, then they'll tape your camping permit to the door so you can get it. The walk-in camping is only about $7/night. Usually not many people there and they have nice campsites AND clean bathrooms and showers!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Casper » Sep 5, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm still playing the role of the Lone Ranger if anyon needs a ride up from Central FL.
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 6, 2007 8:21 am

Yippie, Kevin preregistered me at OTR. See y'all on the Mtn!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 6, 2007 3:40 pm

cool so you are coming after all!! We definitely need to meet up!!
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby incavenow » Sep 6, 2007 4:17 pm

Cloudland Canyon is probably your best bet if you want to continue camping. There are two hotels in Lafayette- Days Inn and Key West Inn- if you want to sleep on a bed.
:alarm:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby tallgirl » Sep 6, 2007 7:19 pm

ok cool Cloudland seems like a good option. so now i know that some of you more local ppl are going to go caving Sunday night ;) send me a pm or maybe i can just find a group when we get there.
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby wendy » Sep 6, 2007 9:27 pm

tallgirl wrote:ok cool Cloudland seems like a good option. so now i know that some of you more local ppl are going to go caving Sunday night ;) send me a pm or maybe i can just find a group when we get there.

for Sunday I would suggest making the drive over to Scottsboro, Alabama and going to Sauta Cave. Sunday during the fall cave-in is the only day of the year that the cave is open.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby cave rat » Sep 6, 2007 11:21 pm

If you do Rustys and Cemetary, I recommend getting there around 7 in the morning. By 10 Am there can be up to 5 ropes strung in the pit as I found out during the 28th TAG.

I will most likely be doing a trip to the Diggings Pit during Friday of the Cave-In. This is a great beginner pit and a easy one to get to. Around 400' up the hill from the parking spot and plenty of room for cars. I will have Andy Z. put out a sign-up sheet.

Diggin's is a broken drop involving 80', 35' and 20' and can all be done with a 300' rope. Good pit to visit during the Cave-In.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 7, 2007 8:22 am

Cloudland Canyon State Park

I recommend booking your stay in advance. I've done it a few times - that way you won't get locked out (unless you get there after 10pm).

waaah. I really just don't know where I am going to go caving at this point:(
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Sep 10, 2007 7:33 pm

So where is everybody camping at? I feel like trying out a different spot this year.

wendy
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events