Karst-O-Rama recommendations

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Karst-O-Rama recommendations

Postby Ninja74 » Jun 10, 2007 9:06 pm

This e-mail goes out to anyone that might have any good advice or recommendations about caving in Mount Vernon, KY. I will be attending this years Karst-O-Rama, and was wondering if anyone has been caving in that area. This is my first convention trip and am looking forward to it. I noticed Mount Vernon was host to the 2001 NSS convention. So maybe someone has been there for that or other past Karst-O-Ramas. If so can someone offer any advice for cave trips that would be good for me to keep an eye out for. I am very agile and am looking for something that can offer a bit of a challenge, although I am not a vertical caver so that would be out for now until I can get some experience and training in rope work. So if anyone can offer some advice and recommendations that would be great. Thanks for any info.

Jason.

PS if anyone has any knowledge about where I can turn to to get some training with vertical rope work in the Chicago land area, that would be awesome to. Thanks.
Ninja74
Infrequent Poster

Postby mattcaves » Jun 10, 2007 10:12 pm

I cave a lot in that area. (I live about an hour away, its like my second home). There are a lot of great guided trips scheduled. There is a really wide variety of trips planned anything from easy family oriented trips to long crawls, to wet caves, to vertical work. The majority of the trips are horizontal. There aren't any trips I'd recommend over another. They should all be good trips. Just depends of the kind of caving you like to do (wet, climbing, crawling, dry, muddy, etc.)
mattcaves
Infrequent Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jun 10, 2007 11:14 pm

Mattcaves is right. There's plenty of variety. When you get there, just look over the guidebook and if you have any question about which cave(s) suit you, just ask around and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advise.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 10, 2007 11:22 pm

Jason, as an NSS member, you can buy a copy of the 2001 Convention Guidebook and read up on caves in the area. http://tinyurl.com/2a8af5 But you'll have to hurry! :hairpull:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby mattcaves » Jun 11, 2007 6:17 pm

The 2001 guidebook is pretty good. You will also get a KOR guidebook when you register that will detail all of the cave trips.
mattcaves
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jim Dixon » Jun 11, 2007 9:58 pm

There will also be trips not listed in the guide book added after the printing. These will be added to the trip sign-up board located at the shelter.
Jim Dixon
Infrequent Poster

Name: James Dixon
NSS #: 59621
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Bluegrass Grotto

Return to Caver Events