Crawlathon January 2007

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Crawlathon January 2007

Postby caverdoc » Oct 18, 2006 7:25 pm

Anybody going to Crawlathon at Carter Caves in January 2007? I requested time off from work, plan to road trip out from Kansas and enjoy a caving area I last saw in the 1970's.
Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 18, 2006 7:28 pm

I plan to be there.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Andy » Oct 18, 2006 7:47 pm

I'll be there too! The web site for the Carter Caves Crawlathon is:

http://www.crawlathon.com/

It will be updated in mid-December with the 2007 event info. There is a link for the 2006 Crawlathon web site. That will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Andy
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby tangled_slinky » Oct 18, 2006 8:16 pm

i should be there. we've got cabins this year. :-)
The love of dirt is among the earliest of passions, as it is the latest. Mud-pies gratify one of our first and best instincts. So long as we are dirty, we are pure. -C.D. Warner
tangled_slinky
Occasional Poster

Name: Kate Ferguson
NSS #: 56925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wittenberg University Speleological Society

Postby Sean Ryan » Oct 19, 2006 1:14 pm

How many people camp at this, and how many grab cabins or motel space?
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Dec 17, 2006 6:05 pm

The website is up and working. Copied off my registration. Hope I can get off from work for this, I put in my request in August. Will be a 12 hour drive for me but I haven't been in KY caving in probably 25 years.
See everybody there, I'll probably be in one of the motels...
Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Dr Jay,

What caves are you signing up to do? I can't decide.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby caverdoc » Dec 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Scott
I was "fur-shure" planning on doing the Saturday all-day vertical trip. For Sunday I'm thinking a shorter trip, since I'll start my drive back to KS right afterwards.
It will be fun trying to see how low I can go in the squeezebox. I'm thinking 10inches.
Cheerios,
Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Dec 20, 2006 2:42 pm

OK, I just sent my registration off.

Saturday I signed up for #6 as first choice (Pit Plunging) with alternates in order #11(bridges of Carter County), #17 (Fern & Flood) and #23 (Bat Cave Backdoor). Saturday PM alternates are (in order) #65 (Laurel, Horn, Rimstone), #64 (Bat Cave Back Door) and #66 (Tygart Hike and Cave Trek). Sunday I signed up for #84, Cascade Gone Wild, with my alternate bing #88, Bat Cave Backdoor. Phew! :shock:

The registration says something about the Pit Plunging trip being a "Scouts Only" trip in the description, then says they must register in groups of 5...Huh? I signed up anyway.

Should be fun, I hear Inner Mountain Outfitters will be there. Time to start checking sofa/chairs for loose change for "jangly bits."

Cheers,

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Opps

Postby Andy » Dec 20, 2006 3:12 pm

Oppps .... the bit about "scouts only" in the Pit Plunging trip description is not correct. I have fixed the Crawlathon web site. The correct description should read:

"This trip will be only for those vertically-competent cavers with considerable experience (no beginners!). Two pits in the area will be rigged, but you must have your own vertical gear including a mechanical safety. The trip begins with a gear inspection and orientation by the field leaders (if you don’t have an acceptable climbing system with three points of contact, you will not go). These caves can only be visited during Crawlathon Weekend only! Meets at Lodge. Transportation needed."

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Andy
Andy
Frequent Poster

Re: Opps

Postby mgmills » Dec 20, 2006 4:59 pm

Andy wrote:"inspection and orientation by the field leaders (if you don’t have an acceptable climbing system with three points of contact, you will not go)."

Andy

You don't allow frogging? A functional frog system only uses two points of attachment. Not an issue for me because I can't but that is strange since many cavers use frog systems.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Evan G » Dec 20, 2006 5:14 pm

You don't allow frogging? A functional frog system only uses two points of attachment. Not an issue for me because I can't but that is strange since many cavers use frog systems.

Good question

I use a 3 phase cunnington system, I guess with the chestbox attached to you could say it is a three point, but I always condsired my safety as a third point and used when needed
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby caverdoc » Dec 20, 2006 5:34 pm

I have a special gear harness that allows me to attach 12 Petzl Tibloc mini ascenders. Then I "swim" up the rope. Literally, in one case a flooding cave :laughing:

I think the Frog will be OK, so long as you have an extra prusik or ascender that you can attach. NCRC says so, don't they? I used the Mitchell for YEARS and it's only 2 points. Don't we rappel from a single attachment?

Andy, I'm glad you cleared up that little bit of confusion :woohoo: Now I can hopefully be caver #1 on the list. Looking forward to seeing Carter Caves area again, I remember visiting the area in about 1979or 1980 (we had a VAR in Charleston) with Bill Koerschner (this was the infamous "rugose crossbedding" field trip).

doc
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Dec 20, 2006 5:48 pm

I have a special gear harness that allows me to attach 12 Petzl Tibloc mini ascenders. Then I "swim" up the rope. Literally, in one case a flooding cave.

Oh boy! :rofl:

:kewl: maybe you make a new record in the upstream salmon race course in Great X :caver:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Andy » Dec 20, 2006 6:17 pm

I do the website for the Carter Caves Crawlathon. I don't lead the Pit Plunging trip or write any of the trip descriptions or gear requirements. If anyone has a question about a particular trip please contact the fine folks at Carter Caves State Resort Park. The contact info can be found at http://www.crawlathon.com/
Andy
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Caver Events