2006 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby roger_haley » Aug 17, 2006 10:21 am

The TAG Fall Cave-in is TAG caver homecomming weekend.

I will Never miss one of these if I am alive!!!!

Drop by the SCCi booth and please make a donation!
Roger Haley
Huntsville, Alabama
roger_haley
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29236FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville

Re: Saturday is great

Postby mgmills » Aug 17, 2006 4:22 pm

CaverScott wrote:
Eve wrote:If I can only be there Saturday and Sunday, will I miss a lot of good stuff?

The "BIG" night is Saturday night; however, Friday night is very cool as well. Everybody packs up and leaves pretty much by noon on Sunday.

:exactly: . . . and actually you are pretty much required to leave by noon on Sunday :-) The Cave-In is held on private property and the staff has to make sure everyone is gone before they leave and lock the gate behind them.

roger_haley wrote:The TAG Fall Cave-in is TAG caver homecomming weekend.

I will Never miss one of these if I am alive!!!!

Drop by the SCCi booth and please make a donation!

It is a unique event and a "must go" for many TAG cavers. Once when I lived in Birmingham I actually went to the Cave-In, reqistered, camped the night and drove back to B'ham to work (because I didn't put in my request to be off early enough:sad:) and then returned to the Cave-In. It was worth it to me to drive the hour and 45 minutes to and from work to spend the night partying with 1000 of my caving friends.

Thanks for the reminder Roger, I make it a point to try to donate a little something to the SCCI at each TAG Cave-In and each SERA in addition to my sustaining contribution. Wish you guys could come up with some "give aways" besides t-shirts though :tonguecheek: - I have more t-shirts than I can ever wear out in my lifetime.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby rchrds » Aug 17, 2006 4:38 pm

mgmills wrote:
:exactly: . . . and actually you are pretty much required to leave by noon on Sunday :-) The Cave-In is held on private property and the staff has to make sure everyone is gone before they leave and lock the gate behind them.

Ahem.. eh, yea- that is for sure. For some reason we were retarded last year and went caving Sunday, leaving our camp set up. (I suppose we thought everyone was leaving Monday?) That caused some folks anguish. By the time we finally got back late Sunday, nobody was too happy and crazy things were happening- the property owner's neighbor's dog had just been run over on the road outside (not by us) and then another caver's van rolled down the steep road below registration and smashed into a tree. It was a mess. We apologized profusely, made offers to help clean up the area in general (turned down) and then left before the craziness got worse.

Dang did I feel stupid.

Sorry again to all those folks, and I hope the guy with the van got it fixed?

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby mgmills » Aug 17, 2006 5:30 pm

rchrds wrote:. . . and then another caver's van rolled down the steep road below registration and smashed into a tree. It was a mess. We apologized profusely, made offers to help clean up the area in general (turned down) and then left before the craziness got worse.

Dang did I feel stupid.

Sorry again to all those folks, and I hope the guy with the van got it fixed?

J

The guy with the van is a good friend of my husband and me. He got a new van. . . well new to him anyway . . . he got a used van similar to the one that centered the tree.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby rchrds » Aug 17, 2006 9:57 pm

[quote="mgmillsThe guy with the van is a good friend of my husband and me. He got a new van. . . well new to him anyway . . . he got a used van similar to the one that centered the tree.[/quote]

We were relieved to see that he had not been hurt- he was having a worse day than we were. Here's to better luck this year with his new(er) van! :)

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby JoeyS » Aug 25, 2006 10:11 pm

I'm coming down there from Nashville. Sending my reggy on monday so I'll have an extra 10 bucks to donate or spend. I'm bringing several varieties of my homebrew, so that I can (bribe) meet new caving friends. Looking forward to a good time!
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby caverd » Aug 26, 2006 1:09 pm

JoeyS wrote:I'm coming down there from Nashville. Sending my reggy on monday so I'll have an extra 10 bucks to donate or spend. I'm bringing several varieties of my homebrew, so that I can (bribe) meet new caving friends. Looking forward to a good time!

I'm bring a couple bottles of my jalepeno wine at the request of several cavers who sampled it at SERA and Cave Capers. If you want a shot of the jalepeno wine, look me up. I'd love to get a small sample of some homebrew.
caverd
Occasional Poster

Postby wendy » Aug 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Last year we had a NSS dicussion board meet and greet wine thing, so maybe you guys can bring your brews to that.

Scott Fee you out there? What night, when and where are you wanting to meet up and drink some vino?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Map, Photo, and Art Salon

Postby kvart » Aug 28, 2006 8:00 am

Something new this year for the Cave-in. Map, Photo, and Art Salon to be held at the DCG Booth on Vendor's Row.

If you are interested in participating, bring your works -READY TO HANG- to the DCG Booth before Saturday morning (Fri midnite is the cut off so if you cant make it by then, send it via a friend). I will be there to accept your entry. I will have an extra booth(canopy) set up next to the DCG booth expressly for the Salon. The Salon canopy is like the vendors canopy with sides so your works will be protected from the elements. This will be a "Caver's Choice" salon so everyone will have a chance to vote for your favorite......no elite panel of judges, just cavers. Voting will take place on Saturday from 9AM til 5PM. You must see me for a ballot. There will be no Grand Prize or ribbons, maybe a certificate stating that you have "bragging rights" that cavers like your work the best. Brent Aulenbach and Mary Hebblewhite will be helping me coordinate the salons but if you feel like it and have time, stop by and help or just shoot the breeze. You are responsible for picking up your works by noon Sunday (or your Map, Photo, or Art work goes on my wall until next year)

Also, more activities at the DCG Booth include......

*Squeeze Box Competition (new rules this year)
*NSS Youth Section
*Face paintings
*Caver and Bat races
*Sand Castle building contest
*Gem Hunting and Panning
*Hula Hoop contests
*Geology of TAG display
*Jugglers, sword swallowers, fire twirllers, and belly dancing....
......and probably more that I cant think of this morning.....

Some of these events will have times, some will be ongoing so look for a flyer at Registraion or pinned up around the campground.

The DCG Booth will be set up next to the sandbox.

Thanks
Glenn Mills

Permission granted to re-post.
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby CaverScott » Aug 28, 2006 8:06 am

wendy wrote:Last year we had a NSS dicussion board meet and greet wine thing, so maybe you guys can bring your brews to that.

Scott Fee you out there? What night, when and where are you wanting to meet up and drink some vino?

Yup, I am here although not every day. :shock:

Let me check with Jules... Friday night seems logical to me.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Friday night

Postby caverjules » Aug 28, 2006 8:11 am

Jules agrees with you. :woohoo: Can't wait!
caverjules
Occasional Poster

Postby kvart » Aug 28, 2006 8:18 am

[quote="CaverScott]Friday night seems logical to me.[/quote]

......since when does logic come into play concerning the NSS Discussion Board?

:frymyhide:

Be sure to come to the Friday nite Follies.....Open Mike on Stage!

......does fried boloney samiches go with wine?
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby wendy » Aug 28, 2006 9:00 am

kvart wrote:[

didn't we have that box of wine with the fried boloney sandwiches at convention last year? I think it was fine.

So what time does the friday night follies and the NSS cave chat wine expo take place? I picked up some Florida wine to bring this year.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 28, 2006 10:40 am

woohoo I'm not the only balony frier..or Frier of Bolagna, however you prefer :tonguecheek:

Everyone keep your fingers crossed and think good and positive thoughts that my wife will have recovered from her operation enough to make it to the cave-in... we're both in stitches about it.

Hopefully she'll be juuuust fine, but we just dont know right now. We both want to go so bad though, and went ahead and mailed in the pre reg just as incentive and insurance!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: Map, Photo, and Art Salon

Postby Hatch » Aug 28, 2006 11:46 am

kvart wrote:*Jugglers, sword swallowers, fire twirllers, and belly dancing....

They've asked Milo and me to perform the belly dancing this year. We call ourselves the quarter-ton of fun. :panic:
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events