2006 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Weather?

Postby graveleye » Sep 27, 2006 12:23 pm

wendy wrote:I remember last year I did not bring weather appropriate clothing, being in Florida its pretty much warm allthe time, and I got up on the mountain and it was really cold.

Anyone know what the weather is supposed to be like? I know I can just check the forecast, but I like to here from folks that are in the area as to how things have been.

I'd carry something for chilly nights for sure.. here in Atlanta it has dipped into the low 50s and upper 40s at night.. days have been very nice though. Of course, this is Georgia, and it might be in the 90s that weekend for all we know. But more than likely, its going to be nice during the day, and nippy at night.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Hatch » Sep 27, 2006 9:40 pm

mgmills wrote:Just remember if you go to the "SPA" glass isn't allowed so you will have to drink from a plastic or metal container.

Joey's not old enough to go to the spa. Heh.

Why are you not riding with me Joey? I'm taking the Montero, so there should be plenty of room.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 28, 2006 7:17 am

wendy wrote:
Martha:
Why aren't they running a munchie stand?

There will be a munchie stand . . . it just won't be run by Chatanooga Grotto. Running a munchie stand year after year leads to volunteer burnout I suppose.
Last edited by mgmills on Sep 28, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 28, 2006 7:23 am

Tim White wrote:There is way TOOOO much to do on Friday night. :hairpull: I want to see the expedition to Mount Thor 2006 slide/video and be there for the Q&A afterwards.:argue: :duel: It is right after the lighting of the Friday night fire. :campfire:

Tim, the Thor Team is doing their own thing. The Cave-In Staff was not consulted about scheduling, etc. The "Friday Night Open Mic" :rock band: was piloted last year and since it was a success it has been expanded for this year. Plans have been in place for it long before the THOR Guys announced their plans.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby Tim White » Sep 28, 2006 8:25 am

mgmills wrote:Tim, the Thor Team is doing their own thing. The Cave-In Staff was not consulted about scheduling, etc....

Why am I not surprised. :doh:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the TOTM site? Or a google satellite map link would be even better.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Sep 28, 2006 7:10 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the TOTM site? Or a google satellite map link would be even better.

*clears throat*....... Um,,, Welcome to the Caving Community, Scott! I must tell you though, we cavers tend to guard the locations of cave-parties and hence we do not publish cave-party locations on the internet, for the protection of the cave-party as well as for the safety of those non cave-partiers who might get hurt venturing to a cave-party without adequate equipment (beer, ice etc...).
I suggest you contact your local Grotto about your interest in cave-parties.

:woohoo: :tonguecheek: :waving:

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 28, 2006 9:17 pm

FOOD AT TAG - rumor control

Just heard from this year's Cave-In Chair on another forum that in addition to the "usual fare" the munchie stand this year will serve BBQ. He did not share the hours of operation in his message.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 28, 2006 10:18 pm

JoeyS wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the TOTM site? Or a google satellite map link would be even better.

*clears throat*....... Um,,, Welcome to the Caving Community, Scott! I must tell you though, we cavers tend to guard the locations of cave-parties and hence we do not publish cave-party locations on the internet, for the protection of the cave-party as well as for the safety of those non cave-partiers who might get hurt venturing to a cave-party without adequate equipment (beer, ice etc...).
I suggest you contact your local Grotto about your interest in cave-parties.

:woohoo: :tonguecheek: :waving:

But seriously, I'm looking for the exact location on the Google satellite maps so I can send some folks really good directions. I know the road it's on and can probably get with in a few hundred yards of the property, but I just can't find any landmarks that identify the site. I assume the satellite images were taken before the field was cleared and I can't find the concrete bridge or gravel road either. Any help?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Sep 29, 2006 6:31 am

I don't know of any gps stuff for you, but i know the road that you turn onto before turning onto TAG mountain road has a little wooden store at that intersection. They usually have yellow flowers and other fall type decorations out front. If I don't use this store as a landmark then I end up missing the road and cross the alabama state line every time.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 29, 2006 7:15 am

wendy wrote:I don't know of any gps stuff for you, but i know the road that you turn onto before turning onto TAG mountain road has a little wooden store at that intersection. They usually have yellow flowers and other fall type decorations out front. If I don't use this store as a landmark then I end up missing the road and cross the alabama state line every time.

Scott - the last work weekend I noted on my odometer and it was 2.1 or 2.2 miles from the last turn onto a paved road to the gravel road that enters the Cave-In site. Sorry I don't have any GPS coordinates.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Sep 29, 2006 9:22 am

if you go back a couple of posts to my "pyramid" google image, that will get you within a couple of miles of the site. Put it on "hybrid" so you can see the road names and numbers, then scroll west a little bit. I couldnt pin-point the site, but I have a good idea where it is now.
Thats one reason I'm not going up Thursday night. I would have to leave work, load the truck, head up and it would be dark by the time I got there. The last thing I want to do is get lost up on that mountain. I plan on making the trip in the daytime Friday morning.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby kvart » Oct 1, 2006 7:05 pm

Hey all!

Just wanted to remind everyone about the Friday Night Open Mike. It begins immediately after the lighting of the fire. Come one, come all! We are gonna rock yer socks off! I have been going over the line up and we have numerous TAG cavers lined up and will be rockin and jammin til the wee hours. Most from right here on the NSS Discussion Board! If you were there last year, you know you are in for a treat, and this year we have MORE! Also, let me remind you that if you can play a musical instrument and have an act, email me or see me at the DCG booth on Vendor's Row.

:frymyhide:
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby kvart » Oct 1, 2006 7:31 pm

Hey all.....again!

Just wanted to let everyong know of this year's planned activities at the DCG Booth on Vendor's Row.

For the kiddies, there will be a sandcastle building contest, a real gem hunt, Simple Strokes racing, little kiddies art salon, bean bag toss, mud paintings, face paintings...etc. Now, for you older more mature cavers, dont forget the Map, Photo, and Art Salon in which you will get to not only participate, but also be the judge. Also, the NSS Youth Committe will be there, along with a Sciences of TAG display to include "How TAG Caves are formed", TAG Cave Biology, TAG Cave, Paleontology, and TAG Cave Conservation. I have also been promised that the Karst Groundwaters Model will be there. Also, at the DCG Booth this year will be a "Cave-in Information Board" with a place to leave notes to friends and a map of the campground. We will have lots of BNC's from all over to have your picture taken with and to tell you scoopin stories and how they have "been there, done it"........all from an arm chair!

OH! I almost forgot the most popular attraction of all! The TAG Squeeze Box Contest. Stop by the DCG Booth for times and to sign up!

If you dont go home from the Cave-in totally wore out, you aint had much fun!

:frymyhide:
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 2, 2006 3:13 pm

Anyone know what led trips will be offered this year? I really want to go to Gourdneck--I've never been. Or should I try to round up my own trip?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events