Carlsbad Photo Worksop July 22-24

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Carlsbad Photo Worksop July 22-24

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 20, 2006 9:18 am

Photography workshop set

CARLSBAD — The Carlsbad Caverns-Guadalupe Mountains Association plans to sponsor a three-day cave photography workshop Saturday through Monday, July 22-24, at Carlsbad Caverns National Park with cave photographer Peter Jones of Shot in the Dark Photography.

The workshop will be open to photographers at all skill levels, but will become increasingly technical and physically strenuous as it progresses. The workshop is limited to 10 participants and costs $300. There will also be a one-day option July 22 for $125, which is limited to 10 participants. Participants in the full three-day workshop will receive a copy of the CD "On Three: A Guide to Digital Photography for Cavers," produced by renowned photographer John Woods.

The first day will begin in the park visitor center with a discussion on the basics of cave photography. From there, participants will walk down the natural entrance of Carlsbad Cavern, followed by a walk around the Big Room, taking photos at several predetermined locations.

On the second day, Jones will discuss flash photography, single versus multi-layer flash, slave units, working with digital cameras and layering of images. The rest of the day will be spent off-trail in Left Hand Tunnel and Lower Cave. On the last day, participants will hike to Slaughter Canyon Cave and explore layering of multiple images in Photoshop.

For further information and to register, contact CCGMA at 785-2486 or hsingleton@ccgma.org . Information is also available at http://www.nps.gov/cave . Jones may be contacted at pjcaver@gwi.net or at 207-236-6112.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby caveguy » Jul 27, 2006 9:37 am

Wayne, where did you find out about this? I was signed up for Dave Bunnell's Digital Cave Photography course at Mammoth, but it was cancelled. This Carlsbad course would have worked out well for me if I had only known...I see you only found out about it yourself a couple days before the event.
:cry:
caveguy
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 27, 2006 10:29 am

It was posted in the local newspaper down there. That's where I got it, via Google News Alerts.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to Caver Events