New Caving Calendar Up

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 29, 2006 7:41 pm

I don't have any ads in mine, although I do have ads in my Google Gmail. In looking at this more, it simply appears to be a way to convert a calendar into an XML feed that you can use on ANY calendar-type program and import the XML feed into your application to view it.

It appears that while Google says ANYONE can view it, what they mean is anyone can get the XML file of the calendar (the raw info). They do not support a HTML interface (something to see it on a standard Web page), for some reason.

So... I'm looking at a php script that takes the XML and converts it into something anyone can see. Any of you programmers out there with php knowledge that wants to work on this, please let me know.
Last edited by Wayne Harrison on May 29, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 29, 2006 7:45 pm

bookmaker-jb wrote:The calendar loads for me fine, but when I try to add an event it asks for a name and password. Just exactly am I supposed to use. I tried the same login for getting onto the NSS discussion board, but that doesn't work.

Any of the forum moderators have access to add things to the calendar, so if you have an event, please let them (or me) know. We've had some "electronic graffitti" attempts to post nonsense stuff in both the calendar and the caving search engine, so we've had to resort to moderation of them. Sorry a bad apple or two spoiled it for everyone else.

If you have more than one event, just send a list and we'll "git 'er done."

I'm also looking at the other NSS Grottos that use Google calendars for events we might not be aware of but it appears they have all the same events we have.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 30, 2006 11:32 am

After trying it out for a day, I'm not thrilled with the Google calendar, but I can see how it would be convenient for some users. So, I've gone in and deleted the extemporaneous stuff that showed up in the regular calendar and opened it back up for anyone to make entries of caving events. It's the first thing from Google that I was disappointed in.

As a side note, if you have the Google toolbar installed on your browser, did you know you can spell check your posts that way? After typing out your post, just click on the ABC "check mark" on the Google toolbar and select "Auto Fix." It will spell check your post and you can click on underlined words to get suggested changes. It works in all forms accessed by your browser.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Robert Sewell » Aug 24, 2006 10:08 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:Anybody else? I've accessed it from several computers at several different locations.

Wayne, it created a duplicate entry for a Sept 9 event (2nd Annual 'PorterFest), and won't let me delete either one. Oh, and it won't let me edit, either. Wants a username and password.
Why do they say we're psychotic as if it's a bad thing?
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

Re: New Caving Calendar Up

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 6, 2008 9:10 pm

The NEW Google Caving Events Calendar is up and running on this new forum and can be viewed in the Caver Events section:

Link to Caving Calendar

Instructions for adding events are at the bottom of the calendar page.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 6, 2008 10:24 pm

Is there a key to the color and format codes for the entries?

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 6, 2008 10:31 pm

Cheryl,

Yes, the color key is the inverted triangle on the top right, just to the right of the "Agenda" tab. Just click on it.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caver Events