Mayacon 2012 NSS Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Mayacon 2012 NSS Convention

Postby caverdan » Apr 29, 2012 8:53 am

Soooooo........who's going??? :kewl:

I'm traveling out with the mobile cave simulator crew and was wondering when the campground will open for us long distance travelers? :big grin:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Re: Mayacon 2012 NSS Convention

Postby caverdan » Apr 30, 2012 8:47 am

Don't forget to register........today is the last day of the early discount rate.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am

There is a fairly large number of Sewanee Mountain Grotto members going...! We are looking forward to a great time in West Virginia...! :grin:
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Camping at convention

Postby caverdjmoore » Jun 11, 2012 10:37 am

Can somebody tell me when the earliest is we can camp? We have some relatives in the area we'd like to visit. Also - when do we have to leave?

Thanks,
Debbie/SpeleoSoap
caverdjmoore
Infrequent Poster

Re: Camping at convention

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jun 11, 2012 3:15 pm

caverdjmoore wrote:Can somebody tell me when the earliest is we can camp? We have some relatives in the area we'd like to visit. Also - when do we have to leave?

Thanks,
Debbie/SpeleoSoap

Based on information posted on the Facebook Group for the event the earliest one can arrive is Saturday at Noon however if you need to arrive earlier you might want to contact Jeff Bray, jeff@nss2012.com.

For the facebook group go to: http://www.facebook.com/groups/15288084 ... 844775941/

You can also download the schedule at http://www.nss2012.com/images/pdf/nss-2 ... hedule.pdf and the program at http://www.nss2012.com/images/pdf/nss-2012-program.pdf. Both of these give you all the details of the weeks sessions and events!
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdjmoore » Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks - I looked all over the website for the camping dates but forgot about Facebook - duh! ~Debbie~
caverdjmoore
Infrequent Poster

Re: Camping at convention

Postby Bob Thrun » Jun 11, 2012 11:36 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote:
caverdjmoore wrote:Can somebody tell me when the earliest is we can camp? We have some relatives in the area we'd like to visit. Also - when do we have to leave?

Thanks,
Debbie/SpeleoSoap

Based on information posted on the Facebook Group for the event the earliest one can arrive is Saturday at Noon however if you need to arrive earlier you might want to contact Jeff Bray, jeff@nss2012.com.

I am not on Facebook and do not want to be. Even if I were, I would not think of looking for a Convention Group. That information should be on the Convention website. There should be just one authoritative source of information.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jun 12, 2012 7:27 am

Bob Thrun wrote:I am not on Facebook and do not want to be. Even if I were, I would not think of looking for a Convention Group. That information should be on the Convention website. There should be just one authoritative source of information.

I know a lot of folks are not on facebook but there are a lot of of grottos and other caving and non caving groups that are using this social media as a way of sharing information. In today's computer savvy world more groups than not are using more than one source to get information out to the masses. Facebook reaches so many more people than just a single web page ever would.

There are over 600 Million users on Facebook. The stats on their ages are:
13-17 = 10%
18-35 = 35%
26-34 = 20%
35-44 = 16%
45-54 = 12%
55 + = 7%
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Jun 14, 2012 12:17 am

I made my outburst about Facebook being the source of convention campgrounf information because I recently looked all over the convention website, just like caverdjmoore did. I see that the nss2012 website now has that information in a very obvious place.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Jun 14, 2012 6:28 am

A compromise with Facebook also allows instantaneous posting of photo, videos, other content, responses and comments. This would not be practical or affordable using a stand alone dedicated website. Essentially in exchange for a ubiquitous richly featured tool each user gives up some privacy and rights. Some find the compromise unacceptable. I think it is more like public transportation although it also has some elements of public radio and television. In some ways Cavechat offers less privacy than Facebook. This very comment will be findable by a Google search soon but Facebook comments are not. For example if I put Bob Thrun in the text in a few days this comment will come up in a Google search on "Bob Thrun". Freaky huh?
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby FW » Jun 15, 2012 6:32 am

Where is registration? I see the maps on the convention website, but registration isn't showing on any of them. I also see the road in front of the school is one-way. If you are coming in from the south, how do you get to the school, or more importantly, registration?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it, on the floorplan of the high school. It is just inside the main Entrance.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Herman Miller » Jun 18, 2012 6:48 pm

I finally broke down after first breaking my motorcycle that I was going to drive to WV from Texas and after failing to find a ride suitable to share I am renting a car (my jeep gets 11 mpg) so if anyone needs a ride to convention from between Alpine, TX and Mayacon I'll be returning on the 1/2nd.
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby KENTO » Jun 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, I am trying not to be bummed that I have to stay here in Indiana. I enjoyed the Millennial convention so much. Staying close to my ailing wife and saving money takes precedence. Have Fun Everyone!!!
If all goes well , I will definitely be going to next years NSSCON in Shippensburg, PA. I am hoping to take as many interested Cavers as possible to a Non Caving site nearby, the Appalachian Trail Museum. My wife and I worked over 10 years with a group of volunteers to raise funds, collect artifacts and then find them a home in the Old Mill building at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. We opened in June 2010. Here is a bit of history trivia that ties the AT to the NSS, Gene Espy the second person to ever hike the whole Appalachian Trail in a single season carried a Guys Dropper Carbide Lamp for his main source of light. He is an Alumnus of Georgia Tech and he started caving back then. He hiked the whole 2200 miles in 1951 before Gore-Tex and LED lights and other Ultralight hiking equipment came around. We feature an exhibit of him side by side with the Granny Gatewood display. She was the first woman end to end hiker and she did her hiking in Converse Sneakers. We are proud of many other wonderful displays interpreting the changing world of Appalachian Trail hiking , Trail maintaining and Natural Resource protection of the Worlds first Linear National Park.
When my wife and I hiked in 2001 there were 9 NSS cavers also hiking that year, I would love it if my advance notice drums up a reunion for me with those folks and others interested in the AT.
Get in touch with me here or on Facebook if you are interested. I do plan on networking with the Convention 2013 committee to include this as an offering.
Kent Wilson on Facebook( French Lick, IN ) there are several other Kent Wilson's on FB
email ktwgame@yahoo.com
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Return to Caver Events